Restoration of a Document Library RRS feed

• Question

• I currently do backup every week using the following command

stsadm -o export -url http://url -filename d:\moss_site_backup\mybackup.bak -overwrite -includeusersecurity

I was recently requested to do a restoration of a document library from past month (May 14 time frame )

I have backup from each week of May

How do I restore the document lib? I don't want to affect current PRODUCTION Site.

TIA

SV

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:22 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, the backup startegy you are employing does not take care of granular restores. You will only be able to restore complete site/site collection (based on the url you used for the backup).

My suggestion would be to restore the required backup to a Test environment and then retrive the specific file. Also, for future you might look at better ways to address this using DPM or 3rd party tools for granular, detailed backups.

Thanks, Ransher Singh Click "Vote As Helpful"! if you think that post is helpful in responding your question click "Mark As Answer, if you think that this is your answer for your question.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Hello SV,

What version of sharepoint you are using? Since you have posted in legacy forum so i am assuming you are using 2007 or less. Since granular backup (i.e. import/export) is not available in any legacy edition and there is only one option to take back of list/library called save list/library as template with 10 MB limitation. It means you can't take backup more than 10 MB.

Codeplex tool is freely available to take granular backup for legacy site:

https://spdeploymentwizard.codeplex.com/

Now one common thing for all editions, you can not filter the content so you have to take the whole library back then delete content from library. Easy way to delete content is open in data sheet view and filter by column.

Hope it could help

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Monday, July 21, 2014 10:52 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the backup startegy you are employing does not take care of granular restores. You will only be able to restore complete site/site collection (based on the url you used for the backup).

My suggestion would be to restore the required backup to a Test environment and then retrive the specific file. Also, for future you might look at better ways to address this using DPM or 3rd party tools for granular, detailed backups.

Thanks, Ransher Singh Click "Vote As Helpful"! if you think that post is helpful in responding your question click "Mark As Answer, if you think that this is your answer for your question.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Restore the May 14 time frame  backup in some other site/sitecollection.

And choose the required document library and save the library as template and restore in the new environment(where you required)

or Export and import the particular list using stsadm/powershell command.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:22 AM
  • Hello SV,

What version of sharepoint you are using? Since you have posted in legacy forum so i am assuming you are using 2007 or less. Since granular backup (i.e. import/export) is not available in any legacy edition and there is only one option to take back of list/library called save list/library as template with 10 MB limitation. It means you can't take backup more than 10 MB.

Codeplex tool is freely available to take granular backup for legacy site:

https://spdeploymentwizard.codeplex.com/

Now one common thing for all editions, you can not filter the content so you have to take the whole library back then delete content from library. Easy way to delete content is open in data sheet view and filter by column.

Hope it could help

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Monday, July 21, 2014 10:52 AM