Still have a long delay on welcome screen RRS feed

• Question

• This bug was supposed to be fixed.  I have a 78 second delay on the welcome screen when I log in.  I have an SSD and a quad core laptop.  I can't imagine why it takes so long to log in.  This article documents the fix, which is included in SP1, but I still get the same delay: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977346

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Shan,

please follow my guide [1] to make a boot trace and compress the boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl as 7z or RAR and upload it to your Skydrive [2] and post the link here.

I take a look at the trace, maybe I see what's wrong with your Windows.

André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d6 5

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi Shan McArthur,

How’s going?

Follow Andre.Ziegler’s suggestion to make a trace is a good method for troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:27 AM
  • Enabling boot logging is NOT a good way to troubleshoot.  I enabled boot logging as instructed and my machine WONT BOOT.  My machine now blue screens and I no longer can use it.  Thanks guys!
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Hi Shan,
    If you would read my guide you would know that the DRIVERS flag is the cause. Use the system restore / system startup repair to go back to a stable state. You can also remove all USB devices. This crash happens only for some users and MS investigates the issue.

Make a new trace without the DRIVERS in the command line.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:39 PM
  • The repair process did not help.  I ended up hitting F8 on boot and selecting last known good configuration from the boot menu and that allowed me to boot.

As for the delay, it is now gone - I can boot my laptop in about 30 seconds now.  My machine is domain joined, and one thing that I changed was that I removed my user profile drive on my domain account.  I think that is what was making my logon slow - my machine was looking for my domain profile but I was not connected to the network.

As for your blog site, since a BSOD is a very bad thing to experience, I would HIGHLY recommend that you put some serious attention and warnings up where you are listing out all the boot logging information.  I did not read the entire page and after you pointed it out, I had to use search to find the information, and even then it seemed like only a side issue.  Please consider putting this as a warning up front, or unless drivers are required for tracing, you might want to not recommend it as part of the initial scripts.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:15 PM
  • it's your fault if you don't read everything. have you made the new traces without the DRIVERS flag?

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Excuse me?  It is my "fault"?  I will accept that it is my fault for "following" your instructions.  Here are your exact and complete instructions in this forum:  "please follow my guide [1] to make a boot trace and compress the boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl as 7z or RAR and upload it to your Skydrive [2] and post the link here." 

These instructions did not give me fair warning of a situation which caused a BSOD on reboot.  It is obvious you are aware of the issue of BSOD by following these instructions, so in my opinion, it would be better to offer instructions without the drivers flag (to be safe) or to at least call out that there is a risk (so we can be forewarned).  I offered a suggestion to put a warning in your instructions on your blog, but all you can say is that it is my fault?  The only warning in your blog site is that IF you get a BSOD, remove all USB devices, and do it without the drivers flag.  It is 2/3 the way down the article and in the midst of many of the discussions.

Yes, I did do a trace without the drivers flag and that did not fail.  But now that I have identified the true problem (waiting for a network drive), the problem goes away so I don't need to analyse the trace file.

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:44 PM
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:40 PM
  • But now that I have identified the true problem (waiting for a network drive), the problem goes away so I don't need to analyse the trace file.
    ok, this is a possible cause of WinlogonInit delays which slows down the boot time.

André

Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:45 PM