none
User with two O365 accounts in same project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've got a unique situation and unable to find the solution.

I'm working as Administrator for Project Online instance. We have single entry mode enabled.

There's a user who some time back converted from external to internal. Hence a new O365 account was created for him and old account was deactivated. As he is still working on same project, his new user account was added to the same project and assigned to another task. The assignment was done using Resource ID shown in Resource Sheet view. It made sure that correct user account was assigned to the task. This was working well till December end, user could submit timesheets against the task without any problem.

However, in January this year, Project Owner assigned user to a new task and since then user cannot see new or old tasks from the project on his timesheets /task page. Tasks appear on Resource Assignment page so it appears that Project Owner assigned them to correct user account.

Also I'm unable to remove user from new task as Project warns me that user has some actuals against the task even though that's not the case. I cannot delete task either as another user has submitted actuals against it.

User is his own default Assignment Owner in Resource Center but when I check Assignment Owner for his tasks, I get a feeling that it is  his old account.

What do I do? Kindly help me out!

P.S.: I recently closed all timesheet periods from 2018 and user reported this issue after that. Is this just a coincidence or these two topics related?

Mayur Pode

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hello Mayur

There isnt a way to merge the accounts into one.  Basically it required replacing the old account with new and then republishing.   However, this is where it gets into a lot of maintenance.

1) 2018 time periods have to be reopening

2) Timesheets have to be recall for user

3) Build team using newer account

4) replacing with old account with new account

5) republishing schedules that have users accounts.

6) going thru the process of submitting timesheets and approvals.

As you can see, it requires backing and replaying process.

If you company was online, then you could access the SQL database and update records, however, with project online, there isn't any access to SQL database and this option is not available.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 5:25 PM
  • Hello Micheal,

Thanks for the solution.

I think I followed more or less same steps in July /Aug 2018 when I was informed about his new account.

I can follow them again but it won't answer the root cause of the problem.

Going forward, if user is again added to another task then I'm afraid same situation will arise again.

Any guesses about root cause of the problem?

Mayur Pode

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:50 AM