none
Installing MAP 6.5 with an existing instance of SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read on various websites and forums that  MAP 6.5 can be installed against an exisiting installation of SQL as long as there is an instance named MAPS.  However when running the actual MAPS install there is no option to choose an existing SQL Instance.  There is a SQL Server express screen with tow options.

The two options are (1) Download and Install.   (2) Install from previously downloaded installation files.

So where do you select an existing instance of SQL during the MAPS install?

Thanks

Jason

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:54 PM

Answers

• You can't use a remote instance of SQL Server with MAP. You will need to install MAP on the same server that has SQL Server installed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by frenjd Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:27 AM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:49 PM

All replies

• If you have the SQL Server instance called "MAPS" installed and the service is running, then MAP will detect it and not prompt for SQL Server to be installed, MAP will just install. If it is prompting you to install SQL, then MAP is not able to detect the instance, you should check to make sure it was installed following these guidelines.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt response Michael.

I have SQL installed on one server (server1) and wish to install MAP on another (server2).  I do have an instance called MAPS installed and set to the correct correlation on Server1.  I guess I have to make server2 aware of the instance that is on server1.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:10 PM
  • You can't use a remote instance of SQL Server with MAP. You will need to install MAP on the same server that has SQL Server installed.

• Marked as answer by frenjd Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:27 AM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Thanks Michael.  Shame as that is a little bit of a drawback in an enterprise system.
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:34 AM