Deployed software package keeps showing up in Windows Update after successfully being deployed and installed on client RRS feed

• Question

• I am using System Center Essentials 2010 to try and deploy Microsoft Fix it 50535. This is a tool to remove Microsoft Security Essentials from my client workstations. It deploys out fine, removes Microsoft Security Essentials and completes successfully in Windows Update. However, the software package then immediately shows back up in Windows Update on the client and wants to install again. My clients are all Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

Is deploying Microsoft Fix it files with System Center not supported? Why does it keep trying to install after it successfully completes?

Friday, July 22, 2011 7:15 PM

Answers

• I was able to get MS Security Essentials uninstallation to run by deploying a software package with the option to "Deploy a package from a setup file requiring additional folders".

For the Folder Location I chose: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client

For the Package Setup File I chose: setup.exe

Left the rest of the options at default settings and specified /x /s for the Installation Options.

• Proposed as answer by ketanbhut Monday, August 29, 2011 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:44 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:33 PM

All replies

• Hello Dave,

Does this issue occur on a single agent or every agent? Is there any other software package has a same issue? I would suggest you using a different version of Microsoft Fix it as a test. Any other information is welcome and will help us in understanding this issue.

If the software was re-offered, it seems that the software has not been installed successfully. To troubleshoot this issue, please follow these steps: 

1. Enable Windows Update debug logging

a. Open regedit and navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate
      b. Create a New Key called Trace
      c. In Trace, create a new DWORD value called Flags with a Data of 7
      d. In Trace, create a new DWORD value called Level with a Data of 4
      e. Close regedit

2. Stop the Automatic Updates service. Navigate to %windir%, find the file named 'WindowsUpdate.log', rename it to 'WindowsUpdate.old'. 

3. Restart the Automatic Updates service and run the “wuauclt /detectnow” command on the client to force an update detection cycle. 

4. After the update finished, open the new created file 'WindowsUpdate.log' and search the string "evaluated to 0". Please post the corresponding contents here. 

5. If any files or registry entries are recorded, check the permissions on them and see if the SYSTEM account is denied any permissions.

6. Delete the  HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Trace key from the registry to avoid verbose log in the future, then restart the Automatic Updates service. 

7. You can also download ProcessMonitor to monitor the background file and registry actions when reproduce the error message. We can check whether there are any Access is denied error from the result logs. 
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

For your information, here is a similar issue:

Custom update packages want to repeat installation no matter then number of times installed
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/b2c2cf29-569b-4d0b-84f6-d20e0dd8d647/

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Here are all of the lines from the WindowsUpdate.log file that contain the string "evaluated to 0":

2011-07-25 12:51:12:881  352 2974 EEHndlr   EE: WmiQuery for query SELECT Manufacturer FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Manufacturer LIKE 'Tosh%' evaluated to 0

2011-07-25 12:51:12:971  352 2974 EEHndlr   EE: WmiQuery for query SELECT Model FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model = 'Vostro 1320' OR Model = 'Vostro 1520' OR Model = 'Vostro 1720' evaluated to 0

2011-07-25 12:51:13:071  352 2974 EEHndlr   EE: WmiQuery for query SELECT Manufacturer FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Manufacturer LIKE 'HP Pav%' or Manufacturer LIKE 'Compaq Pres%' evaluated to 0

2011-07-25 12:51:13:097  352 2974 EEHndlr   EE: WmiQuery for query SELECT Manufacturer FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Manufacturer LIKE 'Gateway%' evaluated to 0

2011-07-25 12:51:13:141  352 2974 EEHndlr   EE: WmiQuery for query SELECT Manufacturer FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Manufacturer LIKE 'Samsung%' evaluated to 0

2011-07-25 12:51:13:149  352 2974 EEHndlr   EE: WmiQuery for query select domain from Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE domain = 'ntdev.corp.microsoft.com' evaluated to 0

2011-07-25 12:51:13:522  352 2974 EEHndlr   EE: WmiQuery for query Select Manufacturer From Win32_ComputerSystem where Manufacturer = 'LG Electronics' evaluated to 0

2011-07-25 12:51:13:536  352 2974 EEHndlr   EE: WmiQuery for query SELECT Manufacturer FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Manufacturer LIKE 'HEWLETT%' or Manufacturer LIKE 'HP%'or Manufacturer LIKE 'Compaq%' evaluated to 0

None of those lines seem to be relavent to this situation. The WindowsUpdate.log file that was generated during the trace process was about 15MB in size. Would it help if I could provide a copy of the file to analyze further?

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Hello Dave,

Please send the WindowsUpdate.log file to this workspace (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft"):

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=fbae0059-dedc-4d3f-921d-7bef86f6fbaa

Password is “yp8ScGv0NT*Iq” (without quotations).

It will be better if you also have the result logs from ProcessMonitor.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Hi,

We are in the process of reproducing this issue. This might take some time.

I'll ask you for any data collection if required.

Thanks.

Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Are you using a custom Software Update package to deploy Microsoft Fix It 50535?
    Does this custom update have any logic built-in to determine whether this was installed?
    What type of logic is being used to determine whether this package was installed?
    Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:34 AM
  • I am not using any customizations in the software package.

I simply selected New Package in SCE and provided the path to the msi file on my network share. I did not specify any customizations for installation or removal and there are no other customizations available in the New Software Package Wizard.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Wasn't it installed with an msi of some sort?  have you tried pushing an "install package" that's actually an uninstaller?   i.e msiexec.exe is your setup file.  In the parameters screen you'd put something like:     /x {program_ID} /qn  so when all is said and done you'd have msiexec.exe /x{vvvvvvv-vvvv-vvvv-vvvv-vvvvvvvvvvvv} /qn  push that to one client and see what happens
    Tim Magnuson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 |
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    My Blog Site: http://tmagnuson.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your suggestions. However, Microsoft Security Essentials was installed manually on each workstation via an EXE file (mseinstall.exe). This EXE file acutually installs 2 MSI products, Microsoft Antimalware and Microsoft Security Client. Removing the MSI installations via msiexec still leaves behind the EXE installer reference and would prevent other antivirus product from being installed until it is also removed.

One thing I have tried is calling "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Client\setup.exe" /x /s in a batch file. This works when deploted to Windows XP but it does not work when deployed to Windows 7. It just hangs and never completes in the Windows Update process. I believe this is because UAC is somehow getting in the way and waiting for administrator permission. I thought that wouldn't be an issue when you deploy software packages through SCE since it runs as SYSTEM but it just doesn't work.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Dave,

Just wanted to check if you ran the batch file from an elevated command prompt. That may resolve the UAC issue you may be running into now. Please confirm if that helps resolve the issue that you mentioned when you call the setup from a batch file.

Thanks,
    Jose

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:05 PM
  • have a look at this post.  Someone trying to do the same thing you are with the batch file option:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/bfc44a4c-25a3-4412-af16-510c9581fbab/

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:19 PM
  • you could also try this as a vbscript and call it with cscript.exe

On Error Resume Next
    Dim objShell
    Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject (“WScript.shell”)
    ‘objShell.run “”"%ProgramFiles%/Microsoft Security Essentials/setup.exe”"” & “/x /s”
    objShell.run “”"%ProgramFiles%/Microsoft Security Client/setup.exe”"” & “/x /s”
    Set objShell = Nothing

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:23 PM
  • I was able to get MS Security Essentials uninstallation to run by deploying a software package with the option to "Deploy a package from a setup file requiring additional folders".

For the Folder Location I chose: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client

For the Package Setup File I chose: setup.exe

Left the rest of the options at default settings and specified /x /s for the Installation Options.

• Proposed as answer by ketanbhut Monday, August 29, 2011 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:44 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:33 PM