none
Can we extend DPM storage which is configured for backup-DPM 209 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using DPM 2019

1. I have attached 13 TB of disk. This is not VHDX file. This 13 TB LUN , directly attached from storage to DPM Server but I do not think it is enough for storing the backup sets. So in future I surely need to extend this disk. Can I extend the disk without affecting or breaking anything? File sysem is ReFS.

2. Since I am using ReFS file system, I am unable to configure Dedup. But Microsoft say when I use Win server 2016 and DPM 2019 then Modern Backup Storage (MBS) is automatically configured. Will this provide any kind of backup compression or dedup service?

Arif

Thursday, June 4, 2020 10:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. I have attached 13 TB of disk. This is not VHDX file. This 13 TB LUN , directly attached from storage to DPM Server but I do not think it is enough for storing the backup sets. So in future I surely need to extend this disk. Can I extend the disk without affecting or breaking anything? File sysem is ReFS.

Extending the disk will not affect the existing backup or data, you should be safe.

2. Since I am using ReFS file system, I am unable to configure Dedup. But Microsoft say when I use Win server 2016 and DPM 2019 then Modern Backup Storage (MBS) is automatically configured. Will this provide any kind of backup compression or dedup service?

DPM 2019 running on Windows Server 2016/2019 does not support enabling ReFS dedup for the volumes used for Modern Backup Storage. 

However if you virtualize the DPM Server and host the .VHDX files that make up disks used for the MBS volume(s) on another volume that has dedup enabled, DPM does support that.

The DPM team have revealed performance issues when having data deduplication though.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by azahri miya Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:24 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Extending the disk will not affect the existing backup or data, you should be safe.

DPM 2019 running on Windows Server 2016/2019 does not support enabling ReFS dedup for the volumes used for Modern Backup Storage. 

However if you virtualize the DPM Server and host the .VHDX files that make up disks used for the MBS volume(s) on another volume that has dedup enabled, DPM does support that.

The DPM team have revealed performance issues when having data deduplication though.

Best regards,
    Leon

• Marked as answer by azahri miya Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:24 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2020 10:45 AM
  • So how can I reduce the disk space? Because I know if we enable Dedup then we save a lots of space . But If I try to enable dedup on disk partition, it is not allowing me. So what is other way may help me to compress or reduce backup size???

Arif

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 7:24 AM
  • However if you virtualize the DPM Server and host the .VHDX files that make up disks used for the MBS volume(s) on another volume that has dedup enabled, DPM does support that.

This is the only option.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 7:25 AM