Mail Bouncing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We have two exchange servers one is  Hub and cas roles .

another one is mailbox roles. now we facing strange problem

when ever the mail bounce it show the an errors as

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: abc.xxx.com

but this system is not our Hub server and more ever this system is not in our LAN or not existing.

Please help me to resolve this issues...

Regards,

Velu M

Regards, Velu M

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:03 AM

Answers

• hi,

>>>one more correction """abc.xxx.com""" is our Cisco iron port .

It is cisco mail gatemail. So you inbound mailflow is internet->cisco->exchange.

So the NDR is generated by your cisco mail gateway. Can you check the log on it?

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Castinlu Friday, October 5, 2012 1:24 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 1:48 AM

All replies

• Have you installed forefront or any antispam software , I had same problem which is resolved after installing forefront.

Don't forget to mark helpful or answer

connect me :-

http://in.linkedin.com/in/satya11

http://facebook.com/satya.1000

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:20 AM
  • yes we have ISA 2006 Enterprise .

Regards, Velu M

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:39 AM
  • please check SMTP log may get any clue , but seems some spam generating auto mail ,is this for all users or particular user?if for all may your smtp IP listed under  blacklist.

Don't forget to mark helpful or answer

connect me :-

http://in.linkedin.com/in/satya11

http://facebook.com/satya.1000

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:38 AM
  • All the users they facing some problem for particular ID's . 

But my questing is if i send mail to non existing IDs my getting error from different systems.

Above i have mentioned "

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: abc.xxx.com.

this system is not in our lan (abc)  but it showing our Domain name  xxx.com

Regards, Velu M

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:45 AM
  • hi,

Per my understanding, you send message from internet to your exchange. If the user not exist. You will receive the NDR.

First i think you should know how does message route. If you send a message to your exchange, message will pass through many mail server, then it will be delivered to your exchange server.

So i think the server  abc.xxx.com should be the one before your server.

You can check the message header, you will see many servers. The last one is your exchange server.

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

Friday, September 28, 2012 5:40 AM
  • hi ,

one more correction """abc.xxx.com""" is our Cisco iron port .

Main problem is we are not able to send any mails to certain address.

And i checked the black listed list it's not under black listed list and MX record is not resolving with IP address.

Regards, Velu M

Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:02 AM
  • hi,

>>>one more correction """abc.xxx.com""" is our Cisco iron port .

It is cisco mail gatemail. So you inbound mailflow is internet->cisco->exchange.

So the NDR is generated by your cisco mail gateway. Can you check the log on it?

thanks,

CastinLu

• Marked as answer by Castinlu Friday, October 5, 2012 1:24 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 1:48 AM
  • If you are using IronPort and you are not able to send mail to certain domains, you need to get on the IronPort and take a look at mail logs, what you are looking for is the SMTP handshake and the response from destination mail server. You can also SSH to IronPort and telnet to one of these domains on port 25 to see what will be their response.

Mail acceptance is up to destination server, if they flag the sender whatever reason they have the sender won’t be able to send the intended mail. In general the issues for other domains not accepting mail from specific servers are

RBL List (Black List your sending IP on the IronPort) , The outside IP on your IronPort is listed in some

Block List and recipient server is reading that information on SMTP handshake

Missing MX, A, PTR (Reverse DNS Record)

Poor IP reputation (blasting mess mails etc.)

Good thing with IronPort devices CISCO runs most of the major ISP networks out there and if your IP is listed in RBL, giving a call to your Cisco rep, might do the magic and your record becomes , clean and of course you did not hear this from me (-:

Worst case pick up the phone and ask one of these guys denying to accept mail from your SMTP domain, Why and here you know the reason...(-:

Good Luck

Ocd

Oz Casey, Dedeal MCITP (EMA), MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA) Visit smtp25.blogspot.com Visit Telnet25.wordpress.com   This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:19 PM
  • If you are using IronPort and you are not able to send mail to certain domains, you need to get on the IronPort and take a look at mail logs, what you are looking for is the SMTP handshake and the response from destination mail server. You can also SSH to IronPort and telnet to one of these domains on port 25 to see what will be their response.

Mail acceptance is up to destination server, if they flag the sender whatever reason they have the sender won’t be able to send the intended mail. In general the issues for other domains not accepting mail from specific servers are

RBL List (Black List your sending IP on the IronPort) , The outside IP on your IronPort is listed in some

Block List and recipient server is reading that information on SMTP handshake

Missing MX, A, PTR (Reverse DNS Record)

Poor IP reputation (blasting mess mails etc.)

Good thing with IronPort devices CISCO runs most of the major ISP networks out there and if your IP is listed in RBL, giving a call to your Cisco rep, might do the magic and your record becomes , clean and of course you did not hear this from me (-:

Worst case pick up the phone and ask one of these guys denying to accept mail from your SMTP domain, Why and here you know the reason...(-:

Good Luck

Ocd

Oz Casey, Dedeal MCITP (EMA), MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA) Visit smtp25.blogspot.com Visit Telnet25.wordpress.com   This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Yep, Oz probably nailed it. If it's only to certain domains, there are some big ones (Yahoo I think still does),  who still use the ptr record to lookup and confirm the sending server. If it doesn't get back what it wants, delivery is rejected. You should be able to look on the logs of the Iron Port and see the rejection notices with the exact reason. They all use the RFC 5451 standards AFIK, so all your info should be in the header.
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:29 PM