Unable to start DHCP Service for the Hostednetwork from netsh wlan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been using the Hostednetwork from the netsh wlan commands for a long time . Now I've got a Intel Galileo Gen2 with a linux system running on it, but when I tried to access the hostednetwork from it, it returned with an error that the DHCP server doesn't response. So I had a look at the "ipconfig -all" in cmd, it says that the DHCP service of "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" is disabled. I don't know how to enable it.

BTW, my phone works well with the hostednetwork, and my computer's wireless card is working well and its DHCP service is enabled.

Any help?

THANKS

Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Rabbit.Chaser,

Are you working with a hostednetwork (netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=YourVirtualNetworkName  key=YourNetworkPassword)on a Windows 7 machine and you want to connect to the hostednetwork from a Linux system? Can we connect to the hostednetwork from the Linux system before?

Have you tried to restart the hostednetwork?
    To restart the hostednetwork:
    "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork"
    "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork".
    If the issue persists, we could try to recreate the hostednetwork to have a check.
    Considering the other devices worked well with the hostednetwork, I suspect there may be a compatibility issue here. We could try to ask for help from the Linux Forum.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Rabbit.Chaser,

Are you working with a hostednetwork (netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=YourVirtualNetworkName  key=YourNetworkPassword)on a Windows 7 machine and you want to connect to the hostednetwork from a Linux system? Can we connect to the hostednetwork from the Linux system before?

Have you tried to restart the hostednetwork?
    To restart the hostednetwork:
    "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork"
    "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork".
    If the issue persists, we could try to recreate the hostednetwork to have a check.
    Considering the other devices worked well with the hostednetwork, I suspect there may be a compatibility issue here. We could try to ask for help from the Linux Forum.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:46 AM
  • I have a similar problem. I have a Windows 10 PC desktop in the office with static IP and fixed DNS and wanted to connect my mobile and laptop over a wireless access point. I have mixed results and more less the thing does not work.

1. First I attached an old PCI Wifi card (D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G520) and started the access point with the commands
      netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=YourVirtualNetworkName  key=YourNetworkPassword keyUsage=persistent
      netsh wlan start hostednetwork
      I had to select an Ethernet connection and in Sharing check "Allow other network users..." and check "Allow other network users..". This way the wireless adapter had an 192.168.137.1 address. I added manually a DNS from .
      The access point worked and a mobile and a laptop could connect. The issue was that the power output of the card dropped from -55dB to -95dB making a connection dropped frequently and in reality making it useless.
    2. I disconnected PCI card and connected  an USB Belkin Surf N300 F7D2102az. This worked as a receptor of a local Wifi, but it did not give an internet access. It had no DHCP server. I removed it.
    3. I changed to an older USB Belkin F6D4050ed. It did not have Win 10 drivers, but could install it from an old CD. It also does not have a DHCP server, but I added the ones I have from Ethernet card. So my WIndows 10 Mobile (Lumia 640 XL) showed that it has an Internet  connection, Wifi Analyzer also, however Cortana took some time to get working. Unfortunately Edge does not work even after several shutdowns. I need to put IP adresses and then it works. For example http://161.111.100.147  (www.csic.es) works. So it seems it is a DNS issue. The DNS seen by my mobile is my poor USB adapter, so it fails. The laptop does connect to this hotspot, but has no internet access. I am not sure why. So I am partially happy.

So, any suggestion, how to enable software DHCP in a USB Wifi adapter configured as access point?

Regards

Marcin

mbalcerzyk

• Edited by mbalcerzyk Friday, August 5, 2016 2:42 PM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 2:20 PM