none
Leveling Resources with ID Only RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to level resources across multiple sub-projects that share a resource pool.  I am also looking to be able to level these resources based upon ID only.  Ideally, I would like to be able to drag and drop the sub-projects to different positions within the project and to have it level the resources according to its position in the project, aka ID.  However, it appears as when I go to leveling options and click ID only, the resources aren't only leveled based upon the ID.  While it does take the ID into account, it doesn't generally only level based upon that parameter, it appears as if a few parameters might be hidden when calculating leveling.  Is there a way to only be able to level resources based upon ID and to not have the project with a lower ID, not begin unless all over-allocation has been addressed with the higher ID'd project?

Thanks!

• Edited by Dawsoncy Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:19 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The "ID only" leveling option applies to the TASKS and not the RESOURCES. This explains why you have an unexpected result. This makes sense in my point of view since the order (ID) is relevant for the task sequencing but not for the resources' assignments.

Here is a reference for the leveling options. You might need to use the priority column in order to specify your own leveling criteria. You might also like the team planner for manual leveling between your subprojects.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, March 2, 2015 11:52 AM

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:26 AM
  • I mislead you with poor wording.  By leveling with ID only, which is task dependent, only these tasks are adjusted according to the ID.  However, when I drag and drop sub-projects and level with ID only, the biggest project, which now has the ID #1, does not become the top priority.  Instead, it starts about a year and a half later and finishes significantly longer.  I realize that it is dependent on resource availability when it levels; however, shouldn't this sub-project use all of the necessary resources first for its completion before the resources are allowed to be allocated to a lower defined sub-project based upon ID?

Furthermore, I noticed in the link that it says in order to level correctly with ID only, only one resource should be assigned to a task.  Is there a reason for this limitation?  And is there a workaround for this issue?

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 1:47 PM