SBS 2011 Random Crashes RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently installed an SBS 2011 Server which is randomly crashing.  It can be fine for days / 2 weeks and then crash several times in one day.  Logs dont seem to show anything but on the screen there is a message stating Hardware Fault.

It is an Intel board / processor / chasis / raid card and they have looked at all the event logs and the logs that the hardware generate but state that they do not believe it to be hardware.  They suspect power loss, however, nothing else in the office goes down and it is plugged in where the old SBS 2003 used to be which did not have any issues with power.

Help and advise would be greatly received

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:23 AM

Answers

• Do you have it hooked into a UPS?  When I installed my SBS 2008 I had to get a new UPS.  The one that supported my sbs 2003 would not support the sbs 2008.
    • Proposed as answer by Jkazama Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, October 24, 2011 7:35 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:06 AM

All replies

• Do you have it hooked into a UPS?  When I installed my SBS 2008 I had to get a new UPS.  The one that supported my sbs 2003 would not support the sbs 2008.
    • Proposed as answer by Jkazama Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, October 24, 2011 7:35 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Hi Julian, have you checked your UPS? If the issue is not resolved, please feel free to let us know, thanks.

Sean Zhu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Hi guys,

Sorry for the long delay, problem turned out to be the firmware (BIOS) on the Intel Server Motherboard. After receiving support from Intel, we were able to update to a stable version, and the issue has gone. 

Many thanks for your assistance anyhow.

Julian Anderson

Central Computers UK Ltd 

• Proposed as answer by Mohitkapoor Monday, August 13, 2012 10:56 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 9:27 AM