none
HubTransport Unhealthy

    Question

  • Hi, all.

    I have an Exchange 2013 DAG with 4 mailbox servers and 2 CAS servers in 2 sites: 1 CAS and 2 MBs in each site. There are 6 databases, and all MB servers hold a copy of each database. So there are 1 live and 3 copies of each database.

    Two of my MB servers – one in each site - show unhealthy HubTransport. Luckily, the other MB server in each site is working, so mail is still flowing. But I need to solve why these HubTransports are showing unhealthy. Both servers behave as follows:

    I run: Get-HealthReport -Identity EX104 | Where {$_.AlertValue -eq Unhealthy"} | ft -a

    Results:

    Server     State         HealthSet        AlertValue LastTransitionTime       MonitorCount
    ------       -----          ---------          ----------   ------------------         ------------
    EX104      Online        HubTransport   Unhealthy  10/12/2015 12:19:58 PM 123

    Then I run:  Get-ServerHealth EX104.rai-energy.local | ?{$_.HealthSetName -eq "HubTransport"} | where {$_.AlertValue -eq "Unhealthy"} | ft -a name,targetresource,alertvalue

    Results:

    Name                                                                   TargetResource  AlertValue
    ----                                                                      --------------       ----------
    Transport.ReceiveConnectorAvailabilityLow.Monitor        HubTransport     Unhealthy

    Current status:
    Mail queues are clear and mail flows ok. The Application and System event logs are pretty clean - nothing that I think is related to this issue.

    What has changed:
    Last week we raised the domain functional level from 2003 to 2008R2. The DB servers then had some issues connecting to Active Directory, and Managed Availability rebooted them automatically a few times. I found some posts where this could be fixed by restarting the Kerberos Key Distribution service on all domain controllers, or just rebooting all the domain controllers, which I did last night. I then rebooted the problem Exchange servers for good measure. The Windows and Crimson Channel event logs are all clear this morning on all servers, so I believe this particular issue is resolved. However I cannot say whether the unhealthy hubtransport existed before raising the domain functional level.

    I'm not sure how to continue troubleshooting. And I cannot find any documentation on this Monitor. Anyone know how to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks!


    Dan

    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:42 PM

Answers

All replies

  • What do you see under get-servercomponentstate and can you simply set to active with Set-ServerComponentState  or by deleting inactive state via the registry?

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/09/26/server-component-states-in-exchange-2013.aspx


    Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

    • Marked as answer by AtlasDan Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:17 PM
  • Andy,

    Thanks for the reply. Get-servercomponentstate shows all components active, including HubTransport.

    To simplify my first post: the first command shows HubTransport as "Unhealthy." The second command lists the components of HubTransport, and shows one of those components, Transport.ReceiveConnectorAvailabilityLow.Monitor, as "Unhealthy." 

    Dan


    Dan

    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:58 AM
  • Andy,

    I came in this morning and both servers HubTransport are now Healthy! Last night I rebooted the other DB servers in the DAG (the ones whose HubTransport were already Healthy), but I don't know why that would have fixed it. But I will take the win!

    That is a great article you linked, and I'm surprised I've never found it before. It has the basic steps to troubleshoot my original problem, so I'm going to mark it as the Answer.

    Thanks!


    Dan

    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:00 PM