none
SBS 2011 Essentials client backups are not being pruned RRS feed

• Question

• My SBS 2011 Essentials server has a 2Tb drive dedicated for client backups. It now has 0.1Gb free. The backups should be being cleaned but are not.

I have run the Windows Server Cleanup task manually (this is set to run once a week) but this has made no difference. I note that when I run the Task Scheduler I receive "Task Uploader: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with." error. I have installed the latest MS updates for the server.

SBS 2011 Essentials has been a remarkably solid product. I am not sure what the solution is, so I hope someone can help.

Andrew

Andrew

• Edited by agouldtdc Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:48 PM Spelling!
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The backup cleanup task may be failed due to less disk space.

You can confirm that if “Delete the client computer backup database” is helpful:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-essentials-sbs/gg637884(v=ws.11)

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by agouldtdc Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:38 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Thanks Eve,

I have followed your kind advice and deleted the backups then set them up again. The only additional step was to have to run the command prompt as an administrator.

What I don't understand is why the drive became full. With the default backup policy any backups over 6 months should be deleted. I have now reduced this. We only really need client backups for the last month at most really. The backups have saved the day a couple of times in the last few years, so it is certainly worth it!

Kind regards,

Andrew

• Edited by agouldtdc Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:39 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. Adjust the backup retention policy and confirm it is helpful.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 2, 2019 2:02 AM