Site Code Change on side by side install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! Did some quick looking around to no avail on the same thing im experiencing. First a little background... I have a Configuration Manager 2007 R3 infrastructure right now (only one primary server) with say site code ATV. We are currently moving to a 2012 Infrastructure with only one Central server, with say site code ATD. ATV is still publishing to AD and 2012 hasnt been allowed to just yet. 

My question is how do I go about changing the schema to the new site code of ATD? Is it just as simple as removing the publishing ability from the 2007 server and removing the 2007 server computer account from the System's Management container with ADSI Edit? I would then grant the 2012 full control in ADSI Edit and then give it publishing rights? Once I grant the 2012 publishing rights will it change all the needed schema changes for the new site code?

When the clients were installed they were specified to point to ATV. If I make this change its not going to point to this new site code until I uprade the clients correct?

Thank you for all the help. Just wanted to run this past some experts before I went any further. 

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:58 PM

All replies

• First, a few semantics just to make sure everyone is on the same page:

There is no "central server" in 2012. You either have a stand-alone primary or multiple primaries with a Central Administration Site (CAS). The existence of secondary sites (in either a 2007 or 2012 hierarchy) does not make a primary a "central" site. The only time the word "central" is used is if you have multiple primary sites.

Next, the AD schema defines classes and possible attributes for those classes which can be used to create the actual data objects. The schema has no data whatsoever in it. Basically, if you can see it in ADUC or ADSIEdit, it's not the schema.

Thus, no, you do not change the schema in any way. The actual objects within the System Management container are what you are referring to and no, you do not have to manually change these. The new site will publish its own, distinct objects to the same location. You will have to grant the new site server permissions on the container though in exactly the same way as you did/do for 2007. Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with the schema though.

During your coexistence period, both sites will have their objects in the container. Clients will not and cannot re-assign themselves to a new site once assigned to a primary site. For a migration to 2012, the clients will need to be upgraded though.

You will have to coordinate boundaries though -- this is a bit of a bigger issues than what's contained in the System Management container though.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:25 PM
  • During your coexistence period, both sites will have their objects in the container. Clients will not and cannot re-assign themselves to a new site once assigned to a primary site. For a migration to 2012, the clients will need to be upgraded though.

You will have to coordinate boundaries though -- this is a bit of a bigger issues than what's contained in the System Management container though.

Hey Jason, Setting up boundaries in the scenario Joe mentioned is of interest. Can site boundaries be created in both SCCM 2007 and 2012 environments to point to the same AD site? 

This would be safe for the clients as they can not reassign themselves?

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Jarvis,

let me try and answer your question from my personal experience

"Hey Jason, Setting up boundaries in the scenario Joe mentioned is of interest. Can site boundaries be created in both SCCM 2007 and 2012 environments to point to the same AD site? 

This would be safe for the clients as they can not reassign themselves?"

SCCM 2007 and 2012 clients can be in the same AD site, but when you assign boundaries for the clients, please make sure you first remove the boundary from 2007 and then add the same to 2012

in this scenario, I would recommend you go for boundary options as ipsubnet or ip range rather than going for the entire AD site.

once the clients starts gettings assigned to the 2012 site with its site code and if you enabled client push install, clients should get upgraded.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:27 PM