none
DPM 2016 Run out Drive letters? RRS feed

• Question

• Just curious as to what happens when we use up all our drive letters when adding volumes?

I would like to keep my volumes a manageable size (2TB) so I can easily live migrate the volumes and VM. Am I stuck with the standard with 23 Drive letters and just always having to expanding the volumes?

My Current 2012 R2 DPM has 25 2TB drives already assigned to it.
    Friday, February 24, 2017 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2016 can use volumes that have drive letters assigned or volumes mounted via volume mount points. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 24, 2017 10:22 PM
  • Hello,

I use to have the same architecture on DPM2012R2. Because DPM runs on a VM on VMWare ESX. And DPM storage are virtual disks. So if you create disks bigger than 2TB you loose some manageability.
    It was great when DPM was able to span data across the disks. Now it's no more possible on the volumes.

You can use the storage pool and Modern Backup Storage. So all your virtual disks are group together, and DPM see only one volume.
    To be honest, I'm not confident with this solution, I had many performance issue.
    If you think about it: I present virtual disk to DPM, storage pool create a virtual disk to group it, then DPM writes VHDX inside... :-O

But I'm not sure it was related to MBS, I was doing a lot of data storage migration... And I have 3 DPM VM using same storage...

Best regards

Monday, February 27, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Check how you can use Volume Mount Points with Modern Backup Storage in DPM 2016.

https://charbelnemnom.com/2017/09/using-volume-mount-points-with-modern-backup-storage-in-dpm-2016-dpm-mbs-scdpm-mabs/

DPM 2016 is fully supported for volume mount points.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Charbel Nemnom

MCSE, MCS, MCSA, MCP, MVP

Blog: https://charbelnemnom.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 18, 2017 10:37 AM