Windows 7 freezes when I try to begin to install updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Windows 7 home starter edition and it has run very well until a week ago. I have not installed any new software recently yet my PC continues to freeze at random points. For example my firefox will run smoothly then suddenly run very slowly. When I look at my task manager the recources in used are 1% for CPU and 25% for Memory.

I tried a few different things like changed my anti-virus to Microsoft Security Essentials but I think I have traced the problem to windows update. My machine has tried to install new updates everyday for the last few days (the last sucessfull one was on the 28/11/2010) and once the popup shows that new updates are available, my pc begins to run slowly.

The problem is that if I click on the install updates button it goes blue as if I have clicked it, then nothing happens and I have to reboot.

Even when I try to disable the automatic updates it just freezes I have to reboot.

Can windows update be the source of my PC being so slow?

Is there anyway I can fix this or disable the updates?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting here.

There are several reasons will cause Windows 7 freeze, such as hardware problem, software incompatibility issue, system files broken etc.  

·         To narrow down your problem, I suggest scanning whole disk to fix corrupted system files:

1)Click the Start button and type "Command Prompt" in the search box.

2)Right click Command Prompt to run as Administrator.

3)Type: sfc /scannow to scan the whole disk.

And please login with Clean Boot to see if the same issue occurs.

If the issue only occurs when you install windows update package, please refer this link to disable windows update:

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/515869-windows-update-enable-disable-automatic-updates-windows-7-guide.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Furthermore, you can try to perform system restore form a backup point or create another user account for test.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:27 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 5:53 AM