none
Move all SharePoint web applications including web application hosting PWA to be hosted on a new server in the same farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are planning to move all the sharePoint web applications (including Central Administration) to be hosted in a new Server that will be added to the same farm.
    We have Project Server Service application also in the farm, which also need to be moved.
    This process may involve completely removing SharePoint from the old server.
    Please suggest the best approach for doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Prasad

Friday, February 1, 2013 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi

1] You can add new server to the same farm first.

2] Move all the service which are currently running in old server to new server.

3] Dis-join the old server from the farm.

Friday, February 1, 2013 2:26 PM
  • I know I’m stating the obvious here, but make sure you know your farm Passphrase before disconnecting from the farm.

Ali Al . Consultant & IT Manager.
    epma
    FB TW IN

Friday, February 1, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.
    But my actual question was what is the best way to move the web applications and service applications to the new server. i.e., if the URL is server1/PWA the new URL should be changed to http://server2/pwa

Please elaborate on the process.

Regards Prasad

Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:37 AM
  • You should not be using the name of the server as the Web Application name.  It should be a load balanced DNS name.  By default that is the way web applications are created anyway (unless you did something wrong).  In which case you need to add new AAM and then change your old DNS entry to point to the new server IP.  That being said, the steps Krishnp mentioned are correct.

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

Sunday, February 3, 2013 3:34 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.
    We are using DNS Load balancer. The URL that was shared with users is the AAM URL. But the main application is on a server . If we are going to remove sharepoint from the server, I believe the application cannot be hosted on it and consequently the AAM will not work.

Does extending the application to new server and changing the AAM to point to that web application help us in achieving a successful move?

Regards Prasad

Sunday, February 3, 2013 5:13 AM