usb not recognized Windows XP Media Center Edition w/ SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I updated my PC with Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3 couple of weeks ago and now it looks like my USB Devices are not recognized anymore. I have checked the BIOS, checked the registry and they all seem to be fine. The USB devices that I am trying to use works on my other computer, it just seems to be on this one only. I am just checking if there are other folks running into same issue that I am having and how it was resolved. Any suggestions or input is really appreciated.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:18 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

For Windows XP Media Center system related issues, please understand that Windows XP Media Center Edition is included with your hardware device or system, Your computer manufacturer may have customized the installation with unique components, such as specific device drivers and optional settings to maximize performance on its hardware. so the hardware manufacturer is the best resource to provide technical support and assistance for this software. Pease contact your manufacturer directly.

Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:23 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

For Windows XP Media Center system related issues, please understand that Windows XP Media Center Edition is included with your hardware device or system, Your computer manufacturer may have customized the installation with unique components, such as specific device drivers and optional settings to maximize performance on its hardware. so the hardware manufacturer is the best resource to provide technical support and assistance for this software. Pease contact your manufacturer directly.

Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:23 AM
  • Zhang,

With that understanding I did call Dell and talked with support rep, and he referred me back to MSFT.. I am not sure where do I go from here.. I think I will probably restore my PC back to SP2.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:13 PM
  • It seems like I'm not the only one having this trouble. I did the Service Pack 3 update few weeks ago and after quite a while I notice my printer and other USB devices are not recognized by my computer. I have Windows XP Media Edition running on my system. I tried to connect my USB devices on my other computer which is running on Windows Home Edition and they work perfectly fine. It has the Service Pack 3 installed too. My external hard drive does not even have to go in installation process since it installs the driver automatically.

I thought my printer was just too old so I bought a new one. But after the computer did not recognize the new printer, I finally realized that something is wrong with the computer. Since I did not have any recent programs installed, I guess the Service Pack  and the version of  Windows ( XP Media Center Edition) must have something to do with this. Please help.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:28 AM
  •  

I am also having this problem with windows xp pro.  after the innitiall install I cannot plug any usb mass storage devises, key boards, mice  etc, into oter usp ports.  I am not able to plug in a protable hdd to the computer and ve it read the data.

I have talked to dell, I have reinstalled the os, and I continue to have the problem.

I have been directed to MS to get support on the issue.

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:06 PM
  • @ jmchart:  I trust that the Dell support tech did make sure that you have installed all of the motherboard-chipset drivers after your reinstallation of the OS, as well as making sure that the USB controller is, in fact, enabled in the BIOS?

@ fjk:  My first suggestion would be to reinstall your motherboard-chipset drivers.
    However, you do have a good thought there:  SP3 isn't, well, completely compatible with Media Center 2005.  Typically, it only breaks Media Center itself, not basic functionality of the OS (such as your USB devices.)

@ all in this thread (and, I'm kinda surprised that Robinson didn't mention this), you might want to start a new thread in the XP SP3 support forum:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17
    This forum is for Vista hardware. 

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:57 AM
  • It has been couple of months, I have installed chipset, updated bios, worked with Dell for 4 hours ( I paid almost $240 ), uninstalled SP3, installed new drivers, updated registery and still no luck. The only think I have not done is re-format the hard drive and I am not sure if that is the only solution. I really do not know what SP3 includes, I do not see any changes, the pc is actually slower than it used to be. The new fixes really sucks. Maybe MS should have someone program here and not outsource to some cheap country for Service Packs. This has been really a learning process for me, next time I am buying Apple OS or Linux.. I am done with MS and all the surprises. It is really disappointing.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:11 PM
  • I have found a solution to my problem. I recommend you to check this article out on how to install device drivers on your computer: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/07/28/the-easiest-way-to-automatically-install-device-drivers-on-any-windows-xp-computer/
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:32 AM