Windows 10 checking for updates shows "up to date" but no updates were installed RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on "Check for Updates" on Windows 10 I get the message "Your device is up to date" which is not true since updates for July and August are not installed.

I have WSUS Server and SCCM server which uses WSUS server as Software Update Point.

I checked disk spaces on both servers, there is enough space.

Also, synchronization to MS servers is working, I see the updates on WSUS server and SCCM server, but I cannot reach them with Windows 10 PC since few days back.

I don't know what could have gone wrong.

How can I troubleshoot this ?

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Since there is SCCM in your environment, the mechanism of patching is different from stand-alone WSUS environment. 

What's the compliance status in the SCCM console? Have you deployed required updates to clients? Or have you created ADR for automatic updates deployment? 

Following below guide to deploy updates with SCCM environment:
    https://prajwaldesai.com/deploy-software-updates-using-sccm-2012-r2/

Hope above answer helps and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 10:27 AM
  • Yes, ADR are configured and have been working all the time. Also now there is no error shown in ADR - Last Error Code is 0x00000000 for today's date.

BUT I GOT YOUR POINT, updates status cannot be checked using "Check for updates" setting but in a different way.

So, how can I check on a Client if Client did contact SCCM server and if it asked for WSUS updates and what did the server answer ?

• Edited by LL159159 Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 10:45 AM
  • Hello,

Here is the workflow for detecting update with SCCM.

After clients performing the software update scan cycle (action on the client side or summarize on the SUP side), status of each update for clients will be uploaded to site server and summarized to display as below:

Then you could deploy them manually or by ADR.

You could check the process in updatestore.log on the client side.

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by MaxxSound Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:07 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:03 AM
  • Thank you for answering, Ray Jia.

I checked the updatestore.log.

There are a lot of messages "Successfully raised state message for update (...) with state (Missing)."

So it seems Client did told to SCCM that it needs the update, right ?

I also checked UpdatesDeployment.log and there are a lot of messages like this:

Update (Site_.../SUM_...) added to the targeted list of deployment ({...})

but there is no messages about downloading them...

• Edited by LL159159 Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:31 AM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:56 AM
  • Hello, 

Could you contact and check in the SCCM server? It would be easier to troubleshoot.

However, you can't install updates on the clients if SUP have not deploy them to correct collection.

If you could check in the SCCM console, please check updates compliance at first to see if the latest updates is needed by clients and if all clients report their compliance status to SUP. You can check them in the "required" and "percent compliant".

And then, you need check if you have deployed the required updates to correct collection successfully. You could check the deployment in the "monitor" node.

And then, you should check on the clients to see if clients have received the policy and updates, and if they have installed successfully.

Feel free to feedback the check results. Only when we know that which step has a problem, can we do the further troubleshooting.

You could find detailed troubleshooting method as per following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10680/software-update-management-troubleshooting-in-configuration-manager

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray     

Friday, September 7, 2018 6:45 AM