Windows 2008 R2 server cannot see all of LAN network .. so WSUS is not up to date RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WSUS 3 server on our LAN which cannot see ALL of our workstations/servers .. only some appear when browsing the network.  However, I can manually PING or use \\servername to connect to each server OK.

I've read online articles and have verified these settings below:

"Network discovery requires that the DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host"

I opened the Services MMC snap-in and saw that the following services were disabled:

• Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host

Enabling and starting these services did the trick and now Network Discovery is enabled and I can see the server.

Please check if the Computer Browserservice is set to AutomaticandStarted on all the Windows Server 2008 R2 based computer.

Please enable "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" in the Network connection advanced properties

enable Network Discovery on your W2008R2 server

STILL .. I cannot see ALL of the network when browsing the LAN.  This issue results in my WSUS server not deploying to all the servers and workstations on my LAN (about 150 total now) so I need to manually update many systems.

Suggestions to fix this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Shane

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Shane Draper-GA,

Based on my understanding, the WSUS server can’t discovery all computers in the network.

On WSUS clients, we need to ensure the client has applied the WSUS GPO. Run gpupdate/force on client to apply GPO, and run gpresult/h C:\report.html to check the result. (note: This command needs privilege of Administrator)

If the client has applied GPO, but the issue still exits, then it may be caused by duplicated SUSClientID, check the following blog to learn detailed information and the fix of duplicated SUSClientID:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2009/05/05/resolving-the-duplicate-susclientid-issue-or-why-don-t-all-my-clients-show-up-in-the-wsus-console.aspx

Besides, as for the network discovery you mentioned, we need to ensure that we have turned on network discovery on both sides, but network discovery might not be the core point of the issue of WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:20 AM