Trying to Grant Access to an Application for Computers not Users RRS feed

• Question

• Is there is a way to allow an application to run for a group of computers and not users? I have been able to do it using osd scripts but I would like to find a cleaner way.

I couldn't find anything in the online documentation. Just How to Grant Access to an Application for User Groups.

I am using App-V Management Console Version: 4.5.1.15580 on Server 2008 SP1
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:17 PM

Answers

• I'm afraid you're not alone - there are plenty of people looking to achieve this, and currently the only 'official' way is with SCCM integration.

You do have the option to control delivery via OSD (as you've stated) - I presume you're using SUCCESSRESULT/ABORTRESULT fields?  You could also use third party tools like AppSense Environment Manager to handle the delivery of icons to make it a bit slicker, but at the moment (and for the foreseeable future) there's no way to do this natively with pure App-V..
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:05 PM

All replies

• I'm afraid you're not alone - there are plenty of people looking to achieve this, and currently the only 'official' way is with SCCM integration.

You do have the option to control delivery via OSD (as you've stated) - I presume you're using SUCCESSRESULT/ABORTRESULT fields?  You could also use third party tools like AppSense Environment Manager to handle the delivery of icons to make it a bit slicker, but at the moment (and for the foreseeable future) there's no way to do this natively with pure App-V..
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:05 PM
  • I was afraid of that.

I am not using SUCCESSRESULT/ABORTRESULT fields. That may be a better way than what I trying to do.

I run the osd script

<SCRIPT TIMING="PRE" EVENT="LAUNCH" WAIT="TRUE" PROTECT="TRUE">
    <HREF>\\Server\Scripts\ApplicationName.bat</HREF>
    </SCRIPT>

Then the script checks the %computername% and if it's not on the list the sfttray /exit  command is run. It works ok except the sfttray /exit is not quiet and it kills all other virtual applications.

I know it's a hack but I am desperate. I will look into the SUCCESSRESULT/ABORTRESULT fields. Thanks!
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Examples for SUCCESSRESULT and ABORTRESULT can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930973/en-us

Regards,
    Ment van der Plas
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:51 AM
    Answerer