Computer (Win7) not showing in WSUS (on 2008r2) Tried many things RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer that was added to the domain a couple of months ago, but no matter what I do it will not show up in the WSUS.  I have tried so many things that were recommended both on this and other websites that I have lost count.  Does anyone have a sure fire way to force a pc to show up on the WSUS?

The computer is covered by a GPO that should have it checking the WSUS at least daily (at 3:00am), but it does not.  Out of 115 computers, this is the only one with a problem.  I have tried forcing it to report, resetting it, etc.

Please help!  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Rebecca Palmer

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi MerlinWV,

>I have a computer that was added to the domain a couple of months ago, but no matter what I do it will not show up in the WSUS.

Please try resetting SUSClientID of this computer:

1). In cmd, net stop wuauserv

2). Delete the value in registry key " SusClientId " and "SusClientIDValidation" locates in:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

3). In cmd, net start wuauserv 
                     wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

If it still doesn't show up, also try resetting windows update components:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

After resetting, wait for a period of time for the client to show up and report.

By the way, have you checked the network connection between the client and the WSUS server, could it resolve the name of WSUS server?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:33 AM

All replies

• Hi MerlinWV,

>I have a computer that was added to the domain a couple of months ago, but no matter what I do it will not show up in the WSUS.

Please try resetting SUSClientID of this computer:

1). In cmd, net stop wuauserv

2). Delete the value in registry key " SusClientId " and "SusClientIDValidation" locates in:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

3). In cmd, net start wuauserv 
                     wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

If it still doesn't show up, also try resetting windows update components:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

After resetting, wait for a period of time for the client to show up and report.

By the way, have you checked the network connection between the client and the WSUS server, could it resolve the name of WSUS server?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:33 AM
  • Does anyone have a sure fire way to force a pc to show up on the WSUS?

Configure the reporting server and it will show up. If it does not then check that policy is being applied to that PC manually. By that I mean dig into the registry and confirm that the appropriate keys are being set as they are meant to.

If the reporting server is configure correctly then perhaps you have a duplicate SUSID which Anne has already stated how to reset.

WSUS does not work by computer names, it works by SUSID's. If you cloned a PC, it will have the same SUSID as the original. If client A and client B have the same SUSID.......client A will attempts to talk to WSUS and report to it, it shows up in the console. client B then does the same, WSUS sees the same SUSID so assumes it's the same client whose name has changed so it removes client A and replaces it wirh client B.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:31 AM
  • I will give that a try and let you know.  Thanks!

Rebecca Palmer

Friday, July 1, 2016 5:17 PM
  • hmmm...interesting.  If the first item does not work I will delve further into your information.  Thanks!

Rebecca Palmer

Friday, July 1, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Hi,

I would also check the network connectivity between the computer and the WSUS server.

Chris

Friday, July 1, 2016 5:21 PM
  • I did check that and we are good with a 10ms ping return.  As well we have an AV console that resides on the same server as the WSUS and that is being maintained and updated properly on a daily basis, so communications are ok.

Thanks!

Rebecca Palmer

Friday, July 1, 2016 6:20 PM
  • Hi MerlinWV,

Have you reset SUSClientID, could the clients show up then?

Feel free to feed back if you need further assistance.

Bests Regards,

Anne

Monday, July 4, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Well, I have tried every single suggestion shown here and still nothing.  It is rather frustrating.  Everything is as it should be, but it still will not connect and report in or update.

Any further suggestions?

Rebecca Palmer

Friday, July 15, 2016 5:03 PM