WAN file share replication - with locking solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I'm sorry if this is wrong category or forum itself.

We have to create an infrastructure of three file shares in different WAN locations. The content of shares will be the same and changes have to be replicated ASAP. Basically MS DFSR is good solution for us but it comes without file locking functionality when same file is opened on different locations.

I would like to ask you if there is some way how to establish file locking functionality (except SharePoint and PeerSync).

Thanks a lot!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DFSR does not support file locking as files are actually accessed in different file server. 

Some third party application may help do the file locking. If thrid party products is not an option then currently we do not have other solution. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DFSR does not support file locking as files are actually accessed in different file server. 

Some third party application may help do the file locking. If thrid party products is not an option then currently we do not have other solution. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Only a way is a third party solutions and that too its very rare to say File Locking would be available or not as windows dont have any event that constraints that can let you know about the file locking. There are third party tools also available that can let you know about the status of sharing content etc.

I can suggest to please have a deep search of your requirement and if you want to audit your files and folder the you can update back and can be done with a third party solutions,

Thanks. 

Monday, July 15, 2013 1:11 PM