"Computing Filters/Items" Loading Bar - My Computer/Control Panel/etc Don't Load RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen this on more than a few desktops now. All are up to date with updates. Running Windows 7 32bit and 64bit.

When opening up My Computer, Control Panel, Devices and Printers, etc, there is a progress bar shown in the address bar that loads, left to right. When this happens, none of the icons in that window appear. For My Computer, if I right click the "Computer" icon on the left and choose "open in new window" it opens just fine with all the icons.

When clicking the little drop down arrow on the progress bar, it shows "Computing Items" or "Computing Filters".

An Image can be seen here: http://i44.tinypic.com/2zf0u2d.jpg

This problem seems to be random, as sometimes things open just fine. Sometimes closing the window and opening it again multiple times in a row will produce a different result each time (sometimes opening, sometimes showing no icons).

No idea what is causing this. And I have seen Windows 7 machines that don't have this issue. Someone on another forum suggested it was being caused by CIFS shares? But I am on a Windows Domain...

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:44 PM

All replies

• I have seen this on more than a few desktops now. All are up to date with updates. Running Windows 7 32bit and 64bit.

When opening up My Computer, Control Panel, Devices and Printers, etc, there is a progress bar shown in the address bar that loads, left to right. When this happens, none of the icons in that window appear. For My Computer, if I right click the "Computer" icon on the left and choose "open in new window" it opens just fine with all the icons.

When clicking the little drop down arrow on the progress bar, it shows "Computing Items" or "Computing Filters".

This problem seems to be random, as sometimes things open just fine. Sometimes closing the window and opening it again multiple times in a row will produce a different result each time (sometimes opening, sometimes showing no icons).

No idea what is causing this. And I have seen Windows 7 machines that don't have this issue. Someone on another forum suggested it was being caused by CIFS shares? But I am on a Windows Domain...

And no, I or the dozens of other computers that this is affecting don't have a virus or malware as others have suggested.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 6:22 PM

And no, I or the dozens of other computers that this is affecting don't have a virus or malware as others have suggested.

No Clues? I know others have had this problem as I posted in another question a while ago where others had the same issue. It was never resolved.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7performance/thread/ba5d27a0-300f-4640-b041-f58382556406

Here is another example pic! This one is from my stylish new Devices and Printers menu, which says there are 12 items there but they are not visible. Sweet huh? http://i44.tinypic.com/29p975k.jpg

Monday, May 17, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Has anyone managed to find the solution to this...it's driving me crazy !!
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:53 AM
  • Well I got the same probleme, The only thing i found was If I end The Process named ''Explorer.exe'' (in The Task manager)
    and than right click and Click ''Run start Task'' and writing back Explorer.exe The probleme will be solved But will be back when u reboot :(
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 3:44 PM
  • I dont have the answer , but it only happens to me when I try to open my smb share. not always though.   usually i can open the root then it will do it when I try to  open a folder.

my solution :  hit cancel repeatedly, then back, then reopen the folder , rinse and repeat...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:45 AM