Move survey results from one survey to another. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A sharepoint user accidently pointed everyone in the company to last year's survey and then made things worse by realizing her mistake and pointing them to this years survey without contacting me.  So I have have a the responses for this year in one survey and half in another.  I've tried moving the 2011 results via Site Content and Structure (copy) but I get an error that says the move failed and when I look at the log it says basically that the content type contains invalid characters.  I removed any invalid characters from the questions but that doesn't help.  Does any one know how to move survey responses from one survey to another?  Thanks for the help.

Here is the log

<error><customData>: The content type name cannot contain: \ / : * ? &quot; # % &lt; &gt; { } | ~ &amp;, two consecutive periods (..), or special characters such as a tab. at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentType.ValidateName(String name) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentType.ValidateNameWithResource(String strVal, String&amp; strLocalized) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentType.set_Name(String value) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ContentTypeSerializer.UpdateContentTypeMetaData(SPContentType sourceContentType, SPContentType targetContentType, String contentTypeXml) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ContentTypeSerializer.UpdateContentType(SPContentType sourceContentType, SPContentType targetContentType, String contentTypeXml, ImportObjectManager importObjectManager) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ContentTypeSerializer.ProcessContentType(SPContentType sourceContentType, String contentTypeXml, ImportObjectManager importObjectManager, Boolean IsParentSystemObject) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ContentTypeSerializer.SetObjectData(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context, ISurrogateSelector selector) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.ParseObject(Type objectType, Boolean isChildObject) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.DeserializeObject(Type objectType, Boolean isChildObject, DeploymentObject envelope) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ObjectSerializer.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ImportObjectManager.ProcessObject(XmlReader xmlReader) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.DeserializeObjects() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.Run()</customData></error><error><message>The content type name cannot contain: \ / : * ? &quot; # % &lt; &gt; { } | ~ &amp;, two consecutive periods (..), or special characters such as a tab.</message><full>Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: The content type name cannot contain: \ / : * ? &quot; # % &lt; &gt; { } | ~ &amp;, two consecutive periods (..), or special characters such as a tab. ---&gt; Microsoft.SharePoint.SPInvalidContentTypeNameException: The content type name cannot contain: \ / : * ? &quot; # % &lt; &gt; { } | ~ &amp;, two consecutive periods (..), or special characters such as a tab. at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentType.ValidateName(String name) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentType.ValidateNameWithResource(String strVal, String&amp; strLocalized) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentType.set_Name(String value) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ContentTypeSerializer.UpdateContentTypeMetaData(SPContentType sourceContentType, SPContentType targetContentType, String contentTypeXml) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ContentTypeSerializer.UpdateContentType(SPContentType sourceContentType, SPContentType targetContentType, String contentTypeXml, ImportObjectManager importObjectManager) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ContentTypeSerializer.ProcessContentType(SPContentType sourceContentType, String contentTypeXml, ImportObjectManager importObjectManager, Boolean IsParentSystemObject) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ContentTypeSerializer.SetObjectData(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context, ISurrogateSelector selector) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.ParseObject(Type objectType, Boolean isChildObject) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.DeserializeObject(Type objectType, Boolean isChildObject, DeploymentObject envelope) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.XmlFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ObjectSerializer.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ImportObjectManager.ProcessObject(XmlReader xmlReader) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.DeserializeObjects() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPImport.Run() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.DeploymentWrapper.MoveItems(String[] sourceSmtObjectIds, String destSmtObjectId) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.DeploymentWrapper.MoveItems(String[] sourceSmtObjectIds, String destSmtObjectId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.WebControls.MoveItems.Copy()</full><customData>Operation to Move &#39;&#39; to &#39;/sites/evergreen/Lists/WalkRide Day CheckIn 2011&#39; Failed</customData></error>

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:30 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:10 PM

Answers

• HI,

I have tried to move only survey responses from one site to another but no luck, did you create the same survey with same questions on destination site?

or you can try by moving whole survey from one site to another using third party content deployment wizard and then make required changes and again import it back on main site.

Please refer 

http://spdeploymentwizard.codeplex.com/ to get content deployment tool.

please let us know results. 

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:39 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:15 PM

All replies

• HI,

I have tried to move only survey responses from one site to another but no luck, did you create the same survey with same questions on destination site?

or you can try by moving whole survey from one site to another using third party content deployment wizard and then make required changes and again import it back on main site.

Please refer 

http://spdeploymentwizard.codeplex.com/ to get content deployment tool.

please let us know results. 

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:39 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

Are you selecting all the desired responses at a time and trying to move them?

If yes then I would suggest you to do it one by one or say in groups to identify the post that is causing this issue.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:43 PM