Changing email address for Preferences??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

This question actually has nothing to do with SQL! I am having trouble working out how to change were my email alerts are being sent to! I login with my hotmail account, but email alerts (concerning my threads) are being sent to my work address. I can't work out how to change were alerts are sent to...such a seemingly simple thing! However the MSDN site isn't the easiest to set preferences in!!!

Primarily I use the MSDN site for learning about SQL so I am specifically interested in changing where alerts related to the following URL -http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/ are sent to...

Of course I have Googled this, but with NO LUCK (admittedly I didn't get super desperate and Bing Search!).

Any help here will be greatly appreciated. If your an Administrator with enough skill to move this thread can you please share instructions on how to change the notifications email address???

Kind Regards,

David

• Edited by Darts75 Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:45 PM Slight alteration
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:44 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

You can change the email address notifications are sent to via 'My settings'. To get there, click on the 'Quick access' dropdown in the upper left (under the 'Ask a question' button) and then click on 'My settings'.

There's a 'Configure alerts' section there where you can change the address.

Just as a heads up (you don't have to worry about this, but I'll post this for future people who find this thread), making any changes in 'My settings' mangles all HTML tags in your signature block. You'd need to paste in fresh HTML before saving the changes to ensure that your signature doesn't break.

EDIT: I just learned that you'll also need to confirm the new address that you enter into the 'Configure alerts' section before notifications will start being delivered to this new address. The confirmation email may take quite a while to appear.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

• Proposed as answer by pituachMVP Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:59 AM
    • Edited by Mike Laughlin Friday, September 26, 2014 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

You can change the email address notifications are sent to via 'My settings'. To get there, click on the 'Quick access' dropdown in the upper left (under the 'Ask a question' button) and then click on 'My settings'.

There's a 'Configure alerts' section there where you can change the address.

Just as a heads up (you don't have to worry about this, but I'll post this for future people who find this thread), making any changes in 'My settings' mangles all HTML tags in your signature block. You'd need to paste in fresh HTML before saving the changes to ensure that your signature doesn't break.

EDIT: I just learned that you'll also need to confirm the new address that you enter into the 'Configure alerts' section before notifications will start being delivered to this new address. The confirmation email may take quite a while to appear.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

• Proposed as answer by pituachMVP Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:59 AM
    • Edited by Mike Laughlin Friday, September 26, 2014 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:54 PM
  • Thank you Mike, very helpful! I still have a head of hair :)
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:32 AM
  • Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:33 PM