none
Windows 10 To Go on the second partion.

Question

• Hello,

Recently I bought a USB 3.0 HDD Case Zalman ZM-VE500. There is a virtual-cd compatibility in the case. If you put iso files to the first mbr partition to _ISO folder, you can use this iso for virtual drive emulation. You can use this compatibility for boot from iso and install os from iso. I putted 2tb hdd to this case. Now I want to use this case as windows to go.

I used a "windows to go" creator tool from my windows 10 enterprise laptop. It works perfect and can create windows to go using my case. This "windows to go" installation works fine on my laptop and on my desktop pc. There is a problem with virtual cd. Virtual cd works only with the first partition. I removed the first 500mb partition and made system partition as active and used bcdboot to recover a loader. After that windows to go works fine, but virtual cd loses iso files sometimes. This is because zalman zm-ve500 works fine only if there are a little count of files in partition.

I decided to use the first partition for _iso folder and the second for windows to go. I create windows to go using xml files, dism and this instruction https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj721578%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 . This solution works fine. You can use virtual cd compatibility and "windows to go". But my core 2 duo desktop pc doesn't want to boot from the second partition. "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors. File: \windows\system32\winload.exe Error code 0xc000000f". I plugged the device to laptop and windows to go worked fine. I plugged the device to core i3 pc and windows to go worked fine again. When "windows to go" is created by "windows to go tool" the "windows to go" works fine on core 2 duo pc.

There is this problem only when i use dism. I tried create 3 partition (300gb iso, active 500mb boot, 1700gb system). There result is same. The paptop works fine with windows to go,  core 2 duo doesn't work with windows to go and have same error message. I remove active 500mb and made 300gb iso as active with boot files by bcdboot. There result is same. I made 1700gb system as active with boot files by bcdboot. the result is same. I putted to the second partition a vhdx file with windows and made the first partition as active with boot option to boot from the vhdx. There result is same.

There are no information in event viewer system log and in ntboot.log.

What should i do to use my zalman windows to go drive on core 2 duo pc?

Best regards,

Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrei,

Based on my research with my colleagues, here are our opinions:

1. When you use the  bcdboot command line tool to move the necessary boot components to the second partition, the assigned drive letter might conflict with core 2 duo desktop pc's partition letter.

2. Check if your core 2 duo desktop pc boot method is different from others, like BIOS or UEFI.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:03 AM