none
All Project Server workflows failing with GeneralSecurityAccessDenied RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This is Project Server 2013 On Prem installation. We recently installed Hybrid Cloud picker and discovered that the process updates the authentication realm, and has broken workflow manager. We've attempted to repair following the script and instructions, the workflow manager connection seems to be working, however workflows are suspending.

After reinstalling Workflow Manager, and re-registering the service, the SharePoint workflows are working fine. But all Project Server workflows are failing for all users. Even the simplest workflow that logs to a history list is getting suspended too.

The error message on workflow status page is

RequestorId: 1ef1ef49-3f1a-4e19-0000-000000000000. Details: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the workflow instance. Exception details: System.ApplicationException: HTTP 403 {"Transfer-Encoding":["chunked"],"X-SharePointHealthScore":["0"],"SPClientServiceRequestDuration":["36"],"SPRequestGuid":["1ef1ef49-3f1a-4e19-b9dd-78f6640d5d5d"],"request-id":["1ef1ef49-3f1a-4e19-b9dd-78f6640d5d5d"],"X-FRAME-OPTIONS":["SAMEORIGIN"],"MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices":["15.0.0.4420"],"X-Content-Type-Options":["nosniff"],"X-MS-InvokeApp":["1; RequireReadOnly"],"Cache-Control":["max-age=0, private"],"Date":["Thu, 03 Aug 2017 07:10:11 GMT"],"Server":["Microsoft-IIS\/8.0"],"X-AspNet-Version":["4.0.30319"],"X-Powered-By":["ASP.NET"]} at Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.Runtime.Subroutine.SubroutineChild.Execute(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager) at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

And after turning on the Verbose logging, I see the following errors in ULS Log

Exception occured in scope Microsoft.ProjectServer.WorkflowActivities.EnterProjectStage. Exception=Microsoft.ProjectServer.PJClientCallableException: GeneralSecurityAccessDenied   

at Microsoft.ProjectServer.WorkflowActivities.EnterProjectStage(Guid projectId, Guid stageId)   

at Microsoft.ProjectServer.WorkflowActivitiesServerStub.EnterProjectStage_MethodProxy(WorkflowActivities target, ClientValueCollection xmlargs, ProxyContext proxyContext)   

at Microsoft.ProjectServer.WorkflowActivitiesServerStub.InvokeMethod(Object target, String methodName, ClientValueCollection xmlargs, ProxyContext proxyContext, Boolean& isVoid)    

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerStub.InvokeMethodWithMonitoredScope(Object target, String methodName, ClientValueCollection args, ProxyContext proxyContext, Boolean& isVoid)

So clearly, it’s a permission issue but I am not able to figure out how to resolve it. I am executing the workflow as Project Server administrator & Site collection administrator.

What should I do to resolve this problem?

Hammad Arif EPM Advice Blog

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:31 AM

All replies

• Hammad,

In one case I saw this, it was the user profile sync on SharePoint side that was having issues, and did not play well with the workflow manager.

Make sure there are no errors in your userprofile sync

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, August 7, 2017 8:09 PM
  • I would try running the SharePoint Configuration Products Wizard and see if that resolves you issue.  This has fixed many issues for me in the past.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:16 PM
  • Thanks Prasanna and Micheal,

I've tried both solutions but none worked.

Hammad Arif EPM Advice Blog

Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:37 AM
  • Hi Hammad,

Can you please let us know the permission level of workflowadmin??

Note: farmadmin should not equals to workflowadmin.

Regards,

Avinash kumar | Blog:http://avigr8.wordpress.com | If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:00 AM