All my updates fail 800F0826 RRS feed

• Question

•  

pls help i bought a  new pc and when i look into update history they have all failed for the last 3 days with the same code 800F0826, also when i try to update i get stuck in a loop of configuring updates beofre loggin then reboots and the same again, am i doing something silly like i need to allow something or what? many thanks

ps vista 64bit home premuim with duel core, 2gb ram, P5N-e sli mobo, 8500gt

Monday, November 5, 2007 4:18 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Infectious,

Thank you for the post.

First please help to confirm the following three points:

1. Does any error code appear when installing updates through Control Panel->Windows Update?

2. What updates cannot be installed successfully? Please let me know their IDs and names.

3. Please check if these updates have already been installed. Normally, they will be listed in Control Panel->Programs and Features->View installed updates.

Generally, this issue can be caused by third-party programs  (especially firewalls) conflicts or corrupt Windows Update components.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Register Windows Update components

============================

1. Click Start, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following command, and press enter.

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

You will get a "DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll succeeded" window.

4. Then, please move on to enter the following commands one by one. A success notification will be received after each command has been entered.

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL

Step 2: Rename Windows Update Temporary folders

1. Click Start, In Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the open Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, and then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Step 3: Clean Boot

This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" in the search bar and press Enter.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check "Don't show this message or launch the System".

4. Test if we can update the system in Clean Boot.

Note 1: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Note 2: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

Please try the steps shown above and test the result. If the issue persists, please send me the following information for further research.

How to capture a screenshot when any error message is received:

==============================

1. When the error message appears during the installation, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

How to collect the WindowsUpdate.log file:

1. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log".

Please be aware that there may be another file named "Windows Update.log". I am requesting the file without a space in the middle of the name.

How to collect System Information:

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start the System Information.

2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

Please send the above information to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body (where ### is the display name of the engineer who you are working with):

Post Title

HTTP://URL

### - MSFT

Regarding more information about how to send email to SCEDATA@microsoft.com , please refer to:

How to send files to the Microsoft SCE team for review

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1680389&SiteID=17  

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:28 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Infectious,

Thank you for the post.

First please help to confirm the following three points:

1. Does any error code appear when installing updates through Control Panel->Windows Update?

2. What updates cannot be installed successfully? Please let me know their IDs and names.

3. Please check if these updates have already been installed. Normally, they will be listed in Control Panel->Programs and Features->View installed updates.

Generally, this issue can be caused by third-party programs  (especially firewalls) conflicts or corrupt Windows Update components.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Register Windows Update components

1. Click Start, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following command, and press enter.

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

You will get a "DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll succeeded" window.

4. Then, please move on to enter the following commands one by one. A success notification will be received after each command has been entered.

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL

Step 2: Rename Windows Update Temporary folders

1. Click Start, In Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the open Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, and then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Step 3: Clean Boot

This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" in the search bar and press Enter.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check "Don't show this message or launch the System".

4. Test if we can update the system in Clean Boot.

Note 1: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Note 2: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

Please try the steps shown above and test the result. If the issue persists, please send me the following information for further research.

How to capture a screenshot when any error message is received:

1. When the error message appears during the installation, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

How to collect the WindowsUpdate.log file:

1. Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.

2. Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate.log".

Please be aware that there may be another file named "Windows Update.log". I am requesting the file without a space in the middle of the name.

How to collect System Information:

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start the System Information.

2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

Please send the above information to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body (where ### is the display name of the engineer who you are working with):

Post Title

HTTP://URL

### - MSFT

Regarding more information about how to send email to SCEDATA@microsoft.com , please refer to:

How to send files to the Microsoft SCE team for review

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1680389&SiteID=17  

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:28 AM
  •  

Hi Infectious,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 12, 2007 2:55 AM
  • I also cannot get updates of the following list.  I've tried many suggestions from these posts to no avail. 

The above post askes that I open the command prompt via the administrator.  I am the administrator on my home PC but cannot use the option of 'Run as administrator'  as described above, nor the following commands asked to perform.  What do I do?

Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339)
    Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB885835)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
    Update for Windows XP (KB894391)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)
    Update for Windows XP (KB910437)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
    Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911280)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
    Update for Windows XP (KB922582)
    Update for Windows XP (KB916595)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)
    Update for Windows XP (KB920872)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)
    Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
    Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
    Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB929123)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
    Update for Windows XP (KB938828)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921503)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938829)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB936782)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB938127)
    Update for Windows XP (KB933360)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB936021)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923689)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
    Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB939653)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)
    Update for Windows XP (KB936357)
    Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
    Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

and

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions Service Pack 1

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:17 AM
  •  

Run as administrator does not work since I'm the owner it should.  Anyhow when I run 'REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL' it fails, 0x80070005

What now?

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Your problem is the update installed in your computer: KB905749
    try to uninstall it, but I'm not sure after uninstalling the problem will be resolved.

It's better if you format it, and when you download the updates, HIDE the KB905749.
    After when you restar the computer and you do another time the Windows Update  download the KB899588, it resolve the same issue problem, but don't have any effect in any computer.

Have a good day!
    Monday, May 12, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Your most likely problem is the "Zolob.DNS Changer" Virus, a real *** to get rid of! I found it was responsible for this type of problem, once I downloded 'MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE' SOFTWARE' (FANTASTiC TOOL!) and reset my modem router to factory settings then reinstalled all became well again lovely! (incidentally when you clean all your computers on the network be sure wireless connection is disabled first!

good luck bro/sis!

Regards The Aimless Traveller!

Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Hi, my girlfriend hasn't been able to update her copy of Vista for the last four years or so, but I'd really like to sort this out. I tried all the suggestions above - have you now worked out what the problem is?
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:57 PM