UseDefaultTile give-me a empty frame on Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody,

In a domain, I'm trying to put company logo as user picture.

I created a 128 x 128 bmp and saved it at "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp".

To avoid users to change the picture I created the value on registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "UseDefaultTile"=dword:00000001

After restart I'm getting an empty frame on start menu (I know the logon screen will have an empty frame, but I'm having empty frame on start menu and on lock screen).

If I change UseDefaultTile to "0" the picture is loaded normally on start menu and on lock screen, but user can change it.

Someone already has this problem?

Ilanio

• Edited by Ilanio Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:36 PM

Answers

• Hello Alex,

this procedure is exactly I made.

But the picture located at %PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp is not loaded on start menu and on lock screen.

The system shows an empty frame.

I'm starting to think this is a bug of Windows VISTA.

This site tells:

"Also note that if you enable the above Policy, you’ll see an empty frame at the top of the Windows Vista Start menu where the user account picture normally displays. And the Change your picture option in the User Accounts applet will be removed."

Plus, I found this answer on Technet

"Regarding the policy “Apply the default user logon picture to all users” this has been accepted as a bug and the Dev team are working on a fix for the same. The occurs because of the following behavior, when a user changes his default picture it writes the bitmap to a .dat file in the user account pictures directory under the name {domain}+{username}.dat. When explorer starts it checks whether this file exists for the logged on user and, if it does, copies the bitmap part of the file into memory. If it doesn’t find it or the policy “Apply the default user logon picture to all users” is applied, it will use the user.bmp or guest.bmp (depending on the user) that are also in the same directory. Its where these files are copied into memory that the problem occurs. We do a check on whether the policy is applied and if it isn’t we’ll copy the bitmap into memory. If it is applied we don’t copy anything into memory and this is why we get a empty frame."

Take a look:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/aad99c0e-17cd-41ec-af56-1c5a4f3c5ea9/user-account-picture-in-start-menu-is-empty-if-te-workstation-is-part-of-a-domain?forum=itprovistadesktopui

Ilanio

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest you configure this setting by Group Policy due to you are in domain.

In the Group Policy window please navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates ->

Control Panel -> User Accounts and open Apply the default user logon picture to all users.

The default account picture is at:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp

If you change, you can get this information:

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Cloud_TS Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Hello Alex,

this procedure is exactly I made.

But the picture located at %PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp is not loaded on start menu and on lock screen.

The system shows an empty frame.

I'm starting to think this is a bug of Windows VISTA.

This site tells:

"Also note that if you enable the above Policy, you’ll see an empty frame at the top of the Windows Vista Start menu where the user account picture normally displays. And the Change your picture option in the User Accounts applet will be removed."

Plus, I found this answer on Technet

"Regarding the policy “Apply the default user logon picture to all users” this has been accepted as a bug and the Dev team are working on a fix for the same. The occurs because of the following behavior, when a user changes his default picture it writes the bitmap to a .dat file in the user account pictures directory under the name {domain}+{username}.dat. When explorer starts it checks whether this file exists for the logged on user and, if it does, copies the bitmap part of the file into memory. If it doesn’t find it or the policy “Apply the default user logon picture to all users” is applied, it will use the user.bmp or guest.bmp (depending on the user) that are also in the same directory. Its where these files are copied into memory that the problem occurs. We do a check on whether the policy is applied and if it isn’t we’ll copy the bitmap into memory. If it is applied we don’t copy anything into memory and this is why we get a empty frame."

Take a look:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/aad99c0e-17cd-41ec-af56-1c5a4f3c5ea9/user-account-picture-in-start-menu-is-empty-if-te-workstation-is-part-of-a-domain?forum=itprovistadesktopui

Ilanio

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:24 AM