none
Auto logon user

Question

• Hi,

We have a OU that contains 16 computer accounts, and we have 16 user accounts that should automatically log on to these servers. For example user1 should only auto login to computer1, and user2->computer2 and so on. Do I need to make one GPO for each computer account? Because if I use one GPO, im not sure how to configure user1->computer1, user2->computer2... I cant specify more users.

I have only followed this guide: http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/10/how-to-use-group-policy-preference-enable-auto-logon/

Please advice.

/Regards Andreas

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, there's no such build-in group policy to do the setting that user auto logon meanwhile per user log to the certain computer. Maybe you could achieve the goal with scrips or some 3rd party softwares.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Andreas2012 Monday, September 28, 2015 8:20 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 8:18 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

If im understanding this you maybe overcomplicating the issue, can you not just use AD and log onto feature 

http://ravingroo.com/267/active-directory-user-workstation-logon-restriction/

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

Well that settings does allow the users only to logon to that computer you specify, but we want the users to automatically log in. So im not sure if that will help at all ?

/Regards Andreas

Friday, September 25, 2015 9:47 AM
  • Any suggestions ? :)

/Regards Andreas

Monday, September 28, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, there's no such build-in group policy to do the setting that user auto logon meanwhile per user log to the certain computer. Maybe you could achieve the goal with scrips or some 3rd party softwares.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Andreas2012 Monday, September 28, 2015 8:20 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for answer. well I guess I will need to create X numbers og GPOs then, because scripting is not my area :)

/Regards Andreas

Monday, September 28, 2015 8:20 AM
  • > Thanks for answer. well I guess I will need to create X numbers og GPOs
    > then, because scripting is not my area :)

No, one GPO is sufficient...

Name the users according to the computers, lets say we have "WS01", then
    create a user "WS01-AutoLogon" (or whatever you like).

In your GPO, use "%Computername%-AutoLogon" for the user.

Works only if all passwords are identical or if the password, too,
    contains an identical part and the computername
    ("%Computername%-DHFJKSKJD" or something like that).

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Monday, September 28, 2015 9:29 AM