Retrying from previous inventory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using MAP Toolkit 5.5 to generate some compatibility reports for clients for preperation of a Windows 7 migration. I have a simple question about the tool. How can I remove the clients that were unsuccessful in a previous inventory? I'm giving a list of clients as a text file to MAPT and there were some laptops I have missed. Now in each inventory session, it tries to connect to these machines without success and takes time to complete. I want to get rid of these machines. I checked the database but could not find a key column to detect unsuccessful clients.

Thanks

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:00 AM

All replies

• There are a couple of options you can use in order to get a “clean” report that doesn’t contain the failed computers. 

1.       Start a new database and in the Inventory and Assessment Wizard -> Discovery Methods choose one of the following:

a.       Manually enter computer names and credentials

b.      Import computer names from a file (use FQDN for computer names)

2.       If you are comfortable working with SQL and don’t have any Linux/Unix systems in the DB with information you want to keep, you can run:

a.       DELETE FROM dbo.devices WHERE (wmi_scan_result != 0)

Thanks,
    Michael Switzer

• Marked as answer by Batuhan Cetin Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Batuhan Cetin Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:21 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Thanks Michael, I was looking for the SQL solution.

Edit: I thought that this would work but it didn't. This query;

SELECT * FROM [MAPS2].[dbo].[devices] WHERE (wmi_scan_result != 0)

returns 46 rows. But when I start an inventory session, "retrying from previous inventory" count shows 127. So, there must be another table or condition that keeps this information.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:16 AM
  • I too have seen this behavior

In my case well before reading this forum or receiving the same advice from support at Microsoft, I was doing 
    DELETE FROM dbo.devices WHERE (wmi_scan_result <> 0) [just a syntax variation on !=0]

However there are still retries from previous inventory. These aren't computers that failed completely to scan - I have none listed that are "insufficient data". They must be computers whose inventory process was partially successful but have marked themselves as incomplete or have an expired time-to-live.

There must indeed be another flag on each record or a different table that's holding the indication that the scan needs to be redone. Maybe the registry scan result?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:25 PM
  • You can try adding this statement to your query to see if it helps

WHERE COALESCE(wmi_scan_result, 1) !=0

Since MAP doesn’t support pruning the database, your best bet is going to be starting a new database and importing the host names via a flat file. 

The steps below assume that the only machines that failed the first scan are the ones that you don’t want in the reports and that there weren’t some machines that should be part of the report but had a connection issue during the scan

1.       With your current database loaded go to File > Prepare New Reports and Proposals

2.       Check only the Hardware, Software Summary and Machine Inventory Results > Click Next > Click Finish

3.       After it finishes, go to View >  Saved Reports and Proposals and open the HardwareAndSoftwareSummary<date-time>.xlsx report

4.        Go to the Hardware Inventory tab

5.       Go to the Data ribbon and choose Filter

6.       Filter the WMI Status column so that only Success is checked

7.       Select all of the results that are in the Computer Name column

8.       Copy and paste these into a notepad file

9.       Save the notepad file

You now have a complete list of only the computers that connect successfully so that your new database, and thus the reports, will be clean.

Thanks,

Michael Switzer

Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Were there any Windows 2000 machines, either Server or Professional, in your inventory?  I'm trying to confirm a bug that causes MAP to retry the inventory on Windows 2000 machines, even though the previous inventory was successful.

Thanks,

Michael Switzer

Friday, March 18, 2011 4:20 PM