none
Active Directory users' profile folder recreated after restart RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a completely fresh Windows XP SP3 workstation with Documents and Settings directed to be on a local partition drive D: during the install. Everything is honkey-dory until I restart the workstation, at which point a user who previously logged in (authenticating off a domain controller) is greeted with a brand new account, with none of their settings. During the login, a new username.ADS.001 folder is created. They log out and back in, and their still using username.ADS.001 until they log out and I restart the workstation, at which point the next time they log in, they now are in username.ADS.002.

This does not happen for my domain controlled account, because I have added it to the local Administrators group on the workstation.

This is with SteadyState 2.5, just downloaded this week. The build process is this:

1. Partition and format drives C: and D:
    2. Run the Windows XP unattended install with the configuration file to have Documents and settings created on Drive D:
    3. Configure the workstation and install the software
    4. Install SteadyState

These are the SteadyState settings:
    The only checked items on the General Settings screen:: 
     - Do not display usernames on the Windows login screen
     - Remove the Shut Down and Turn off options
     - Do not allow Windows to compute and store passwords using LAN Manager
     - Do not store user names or passwords used to log on to Windows LIVE or the domain

Scheduled automatic updates daily for 3 am, no custom programs added

Disk protection is turned on

I have not created an accounts through the SteadyState interface, because all the users need to authenticate via the domain.

My guess is that a domain user logs in and something is recorded in the registry that gets wiped out upon a restart by Disk Protection on the C: drive.

How can I prevent fresh user profile folders from being created after a restart?

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:09 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Teleted, where did the folder username.ads.001 locate? Based on the folder name, instead of Windows SteadyState, I consider these folders should be related to roaming profiles. Meanwhile, I'd like to inform you that Windows Disk Protection only generates a file cache.wdp under system tray. I recommend you post the issue to our server forum via the following link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winservergen/threads/

Hope this helps!
    Friday, October 24, 2008 7:28 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Teleted, where did the folder username.ads.001 locate? Based on the folder name, instead of Windows SteadyState, I consider these folders should be related to roaming profiles. Meanwhile, I'd like to inform you that Windows Disk Protection only generates a file cache.wdp under system tray. I recommend you post the issue to our server forum via the following link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winservergen/threads/

Hope this helps!
    Friday, October 24, 2008 7:28 AM
  • I am seeing this same issue.   username.domain.001 profile is located on the d: drive under "documents and settings". 

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:02 PM