none
Duration problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I am new to Microsoft Project, and have sought as much online help as I can but I think its time I asked someone. 
    What settings do I need to change to prevent my task which is to run for a year 'Monday 15th October 2012 - Tuesday 15th October 2013' from coming up as only 262 days when in fact it is 365 days?
    I have played around with the change working time tab but nothing I'm doing is working- what am I missing?

Thanks in advance, 

Shelley

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:36 AM

All replies

• If you are inputting duration as days, then these are working days as defined by the project calendar (see project, project information) and/or the task calendar (if any) and/or the resource calendar (if any), and also don't forget options, schedule settings.

You have a number of choices. Leave it as it is, change the project calendar to make the weekends working days, or perhaps input duration in "edays", which are calendar days.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Hi Shelley,

I would second Trevor's thought, when duration for a task is calculated it depends on workdays & holidays defined in Project Calendar, so based on that Project calculates the duration of a task as number of working days available between the 2 dates. So, you need to change your project calendar to reflect how many work days are available in a week and work hours per week etc.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:45 AM
  • The Duration is "The total span of working time for a task". When you create a task from Monday Oct/15/2012 to Tuesday Oct/15/2013, it only calculates the number of working days in that duration excluding saturday and sunday. which is 262 days.

In calendar if you make the saturday and sunday as working days and keep the task from Monday Oct/15/2012 to Tuesday Oct/15/2013 dates, the duration will change to 365 days.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Trevor's answer is spot on. The simple answer is go for edays on all your durations and you will get a schedule that ignores any difference between working and non-working days and times.

The problem comes if you want to do any kind of useful work estimating - are your people really going to work 365x24? As with so many choices, it depends what you want to model. The edays approach will help you with 'what task do we plan to be working on on this date?' but it won't help very much with 'if task A is delayed  by 3 days, what will be the effect on the project completion date?'

Graham

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:30 PM