none
Favorites bar deleting links ? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't quite believe this, but the CEO here is having a very odd issue on his personal PC. Running IE 11, he has a 100 or so favourites filed on his favourites bar, and occasionally/randomly some of the links are reset to point to nothing... He has showed me this on several occasions, different links, sometimes in sub folders etc. I go through and repoint them to the sites they are supposed to be showing, and a week or two later a its happened to a different couple of links...

I have searched and found nothing... does anyone have a bright ideas?

Thank you

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:02 PM

Answers

• occasionally/randomly some of the links are reset to point to nothing...

A known issue caused by third-party constantly running programs.  One I know of is an indexer and another is an AV product.  The AV product might be an understandable cause but I have no idea what the indexer was doing to cause this.  In the case of the AV product presumably you could tell it to stay away from scanning the shell:Favorites.

Unfortunately, since it is so intermittent you can't use standard diagnosis to try to identify the cause.  The user who discovered the indexer apparently got lucky with ProcExp and its Handle finder.  Otherwise my suggestions have been to use ProcMon if you think it occurs frequently enough to warrant its overhead or security auditing, if you can figure out how to create one of those which would capture these events.  Another suggestion has been to mark your Favorites with the Read Only attribute in case that is enough to either deter or prevent whatever is doing this from achieving its ends.  In fact, if you did that and it still tried but had not been programmed to undo that protection you would probably be able to identify the culprit more easily.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:28 PM
    Answerer
  • The favourites and favourites bar were copied from a backup he made, and were fine [for awhile?]

Did he Export his IE Favourites to a bookmark.htm file and then Import the bookmark.htm file [the correct way to do it or did he backup the Favourites folder [wrong way so WYSIWYG]?

See the Import and export favourites section of this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/add-view-organize-favorites

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:33 PM

All replies

• Running IE 11, he has a 100 or so favourites filed on his favourites bar, and occasionally/randomly some of the links are reset to point to nothing...

Is it a Win 7 (64-bit) computer or a Win8.1 (64-bit) computer?

Are you referring to the Favourites bar or to Favourites Center [Alt+A]?

Assuming Win8.1, does he access one or more other devices where he signs in to the same Microsoft account?

Possibly related => https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/f9f3d326-a19f-4469-a315-99b33073f534/#f9f3d326-a19f-4469-a315-99b33073f534

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:09 PM
  • Thanks for that, but unfortunately he is running W7 (64), and to confirm, its his favourites bar.

This is his only device... This is was I don't get, its a very simple environment, and must be proven my millions of people as a stable environment :-(

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:45 AM
  • Hi Tim,

If you make sure these sites itself  working fine, try this:

1. Open the Registry Editor.

2. In regedit, go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

3. In the right pane, right click on a empty area and click on New and String Value.

4. Type IsShortcut and press Enter.

5. Close Registry Editor window.

6. Logoff and logon, or restart the computer to apply the changes.

7. Check the result.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:01 AM
  • Not sure I understand how that would help, but I'll give it a go !

Thank you

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:56 PM
  • He has "100 or so" items in Favourites Bar, including folders and subfolders, is that correct?

Did someone set up this Favourites Bar for him or...?

Is this a sudden, new problem or...?

When (exact date) was Internet Explorer 11 installed according to Installed Updates?

If you move one of the folders from Favourites Bar to Favourites Center, are the links still being reset?

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:13 PM
  • @robear
    sounds like he has renamed the Favorites Bar folder from Manage Favorites or windows explorer...

the 'favorites bar' maps to the Favorites\links folder... 'favorites bar' is an alias for the 'favorites\links

folder.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 11:45 PM
  • IE 11 has been on since the machine was rebuilt as W7 6 months ago. Its apparently a new problem :-(

The favourites and favourites bar were copied from a backup he made, and were fine...

And sadly he has taken the PC away for 2 weeks so cannot try anything, but thanks for the suggestions !

Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:59 PM
  • occasionally/randomly some of the links are reset to point to nothing...

A known issue caused by third-party constantly running programs.  One I know of is an indexer and another is an AV product.  The AV product might be an understandable cause but I have no idea what the indexer was doing to cause this.  In the case of the AV product presumably you could tell it to stay away from scanning the shell:Favorites.

Unfortunately, since it is so intermittent you can't use standard diagnosis to try to identify the cause.  The user who discovered the indexer apparently got lucky with ProcExp and its Handle finder.  Otherwise my suggestions have been to use ProcMon if you think it occurs frequently enough to warrant its overhead or security auditing, if you can figure out how to create one of those which would capture these events.  Another suggestion has been to mark your Favorites with the Read Only attribute in case that is enough to either deter or prevent whatever is doing this from achieving its ends.  In fact, if you did that and it still tried but had not been programmed to undo that protection you would probably be able to identify the culprit more easily.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:28 PM
    Answerer
  • The favourites and favourites bar were copied from a backup he made, and were fine [for awhile?]

Did he Export his IE Favourites to a bookmark.htm file and then Import the bookmark.htm file [the correct way to do it or did he backup the Favourites folder [wrong way so WYSIWYG]?

See the Import and export favourites section of this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/add-view-organize-favorites

Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:33 PM