none
Problem with Indexed Date User Profile Property (Indexed data is 1 day previous) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a Date property in the User Profiles (We'll call it TestUserProfileDateProperty1).  I set the value for that field to "2010/03/10" for a few users, and I run a full crawl via the Fast Query SSA Content Source.  Once the crawl is complete, I am able to create a Managed property pointing to the newly created Crawled property.  After creating the Managed property, I run another full crawl.

When I go to my search center & enter "peopleresults.aspx?k=TestUserProfileDateProperty1:2010/03/10" as the url, (which should search for any profiles that have 2010/03/10 in the TestUserProfileDateProperty1 property) I get no results.  However, if I change the date to 2010/03/09, I get back all of the profiles that had 2010/03/10 as the value.  I have checked all of the regional settings, both in the site collections, as well as the settings on the servers, and everything seems to match up correctly.

If I create a User Profile property called TestUserProfileDateProperty2 but use DateTime instead of Date, run the full crawl, add the managed property, run the full crawl again & go to my search center and enter peopleresults.aspx?k=TestUserProfileDateProperty2:2010/03/10 as the url -> I get back the correct results.

The final thing I tested was running a KeywordQuery using LinqPad.  (it's like using a Console App)  If I do a FixedQuery of "TestUserProfileDateProperty1:2010/03/10", I get all the results returned as expected.

Is there a known issue with indexing the User Profile property type of Date and then using the Search Center to search against that property?

Thanks!

Jason
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:36 PM

Answers

• I don't believe that is correct -> the Query SSA contains an instance of SharePoint Server search for handling the People Search

From this link :

• People Search queries are executed by the query component within the FAST Query SSA.
    • Note that the FAST Query SSA also includes a crawl component that crawls and indexes user profile data for people search Remember that this is a different crawl component than the one you find in the FAST Content SSA!
    • The Query SSA contains an instance of SharePoint Server search that handles People Search. This one operates rather independently of the FAST Search Server back-end, and the front-end federates people search results with other results in the web parts. This instance of SharePoint Server search includes a crawl component that crawls user profile data from SharePoint, and a query component that responds to people search queries

Edit:

Rob - After re-reading your post & then reading my response, I realize that we're both correct.  Essentially, you're saying that I can't add managed properties in the FAST Search Adminstration/Query SSA area, however, I create the managed properties in the FAST Query SSA/Metadata properties area.  This is how the link I've provided above also shows to create the managed properties. 

The problem isn't adding managed properties -> Like I said in my original post, the managed property "works", it's just if you use a Date type of user property & create a managed property off of that, when you search for it, the search results shown a day previous to the actual date.  If you use a DateTime type of user property & create a managed property off of that, the search results are correct.

I hope that makes sense.

Jason

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

People Search is actually handled by SharePoint Search. No managed properties created in the FAST Search Administration/Query SSA properties are going to affect it – those are changing the FAST Schema only.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Microsoft | Enterprise Search Group | Senior Support Engineer | http://www.microsoft.com/enterprisesearch

• Proposed as answer by Rob Va - MSFT Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jason Rastovski Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:12 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:07 PM
  • I don't believe that is correct -> the Query SSA contains an instance of SharePoint Server search for handling the People Search

From this link :

• People Search queries are executed by the query component within the FAST Query SSA.
    • Note that the FAST Query SSA also includes a crawl component that crawls and indexes user profile data for people search Remember that this is a different crawl component than the one you find in the FAST Content SSA!
    • The Query SSA contains an instance of SharePoint Server search that handles People Search. This one operates rather independently of the FAST Search Server back-end, and the front-end federates people search results with other results in the web parts. This instance of SharePoint Server search includes a crawl component that crawls user profile data from SharePoint, and a query component that responds to people search queries

Edit:

Rob - After re-reading your post & then reading my response, I realize that we're both correct.  Essentially, you're saying that I can't add managed properties in the FAST Search Adminstration/Query SSA area, however, I create the managed properties in the FAST Query SSA/Metadata properties area.  This is how the link I've provided above also shows to create the managed properties. 

The problem isn't adding managed properties -> Like I said in my original post, the managed property "works", it's just if you use a Date type of user property & create a managed property off of that, when you search for it, the search results shown a day previous to the actual date.  If you use a DateTime type of user property & create a managed property off of that, the search results are correct.

I hope that makes sense.

Jason

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Hello Jason,

As Rob pointed out, People Search for User Profiles is handled by SharePoint search.  I would recommend posting this in the SharePoint forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sharepoint2010

Thank you,

David

Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Ok - I've posted my question in the SharePoint forums.  Here is a link to the new question:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010general/thread/0ecb239c-f0dd-413b-922b-dfb6599b410f

(Just in case someone with the same problem is following this thread)

Monday, March 28, 2011 6:48 PM