Setting the desktop background via GP or GPP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

The business wants to rebrand and as part of that I need to deploy a new wallpaper (desktop background) to all Windows 7 machines.  I am not sure whether to use Group Policy (GP) or Group Policy Preference (GPP).  The new background has to be on the users desktop as soon as they login on the Monday morning.  Am I right in saying that if I use a GPP the registry settings would be applied when the users logged in but the actual image wouldn't be changed until a subsequent login?

Ideally I would like to set the desktop background for all users but allow them to change it later, which seems to rule out Group Policy.

What is the best option ?

Thanks

G

Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you use GPO to set specify desktop wallpaper, in the GPO, it mentions “Users cannot specify alternative wallpaper.”.

And you could try to use GPP and select Apply once and do not reapply in Common tab.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 23, 2018 5:27 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I want users to be able to change the background after the new one has been applied so yes gpp run very and do not reapply is good however the gpp will not take effect until after the user has logged off and on again. I want the new background tone available as soon as the login. The group policy (I think) will force it to display on first login but the policy will apply every 90 minutes and so if a user subsequently changes their background it will just get overwritten again by the one set in the policy. Thanks G
    Friday, February 23, 2018 7:38 AM