after Upgrading server sp - Management Point Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

we are running server 2008 standard 64 bit - upgraded from sp1 to sp2 (for the OS ) - and that is where all went wrong

SCCM version: SCCM2007 SP2 R3

before the SP upgrade al was working well in SCCM

After the install mpcontrol gave error 401 page not found in mpcontrol.log

so we did the following

unsitalled sccm client (ccmsetup.exe /uninstall) - rebooted the server

removed the mp role from the server - when mp was removed sucessfully we rebooted the server and removed BITS - Rebooted the server

reinstalled BITS

- Restarted the server

logged in - made sure bits install was succesfull - went to services - made sure that task schedular is running -

made sure that webdav conf in default web page is configured correctly (compared to a working server)

from mpMSI

[9:53:23] IIS7 is installed. Removing application 'SMS Management Point'.
    [9:53:23] Successfully removed application 'SMS Management Point' with IIS7.
    [9:53:23] Creating IIS Virtual Directory 'CCM_CLIENT'
    [9:53:23] Created IIS virtual directory 'CCM_CLIENT'
    [9:53:23] Creating IIS Virtual Directory 'CCM_Incoming'
    [9:53:23] Successfully created virtual directory application
    [9:53:23] Enabling BITS
    [9:53:24] @@ERR:25006
    MSI (s) (6C!CC) [09:53:24:593]: Product: SMS Management Point -- Error 25006. Setup was unable to create the Internet virtual directory CCM_Incoming
    The error code is 80070005

Error 25006. Setup was unable to create the Internet virtual directory CCM_Incoming
    MSI (s) (6C:24) [09:53:24:612]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (6C:24) [09:53:24:612]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Action ended 09:53:24: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

I have googled

@@ERR:25006

Error 25006. Setup was unable to create the Internet virtual directory CCM_Incoming

tried all the solutions that I found on varius posts including on this page - please any help welcom

Mike

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:55 AM

Answers

• When you try to connect to SQL, are you doing it from your workstation or are you logged into the server and trying to open it from there?  If the services are started correctly and you are connecting from a workstation, you might need to create a firewall rule to allow yourself access.

If you are trying to open SQL while you are logged into the server and you're still timing out, try increasing the timeout threshhold.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, December 26, 2014 10:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:15 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:17 PM

All replies

• Have you checked IIS to see if the virtual directory already exists?

sometimes the uninstall fails to remove the VD's and this can be the cause of the issue.

Also confirm that your webdav configuration is correct on both the IIS Server settings AND the default web site settings (they exist for both Web Sites and Server settings)

Kriss Milne | MCSE

*Please click 'Vote As Helpful' or 'Mark as Answer' if a post has helped you or answered your question*

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Hi Hope you have configured IIS and webdev and bits are enabled.

Try to follow below mentioned steps to reconfigure everything.

Run a ccmclean /all (this is a tool you can find in the SMS 2003 Toolkit 2)
    Remove IIS completely
    Reboot
    Stop the Task Scheduler Service
    Rename the %windir%\Tasks folder to something else (or move it)
    Start the Task Scheduler Service (this will recreate the %windir%\Tasks folder)
    Reinstall IIS, BITS, WebDAV
    Insure BITS and WebDAV are enabled
    Reinstall the MP

Jho | " Please remember to mark as helpful/answer if this helped you"

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:27 AM
  • I came across the same issue recently and despite removing the BITS role and reinstalling (with reboots), the problem persisted.  I was puzzled by this and the repeated the process and it worked.

The first time I removed BITS, I was not prompted to restart to complete the configuration.  The second time I removed BITS, I was prompted to reboot and it worked.  I wish I could give you a reasonable explanation for why I was prompted the second time, but it's still a mystery to me.

TLDR:  Try removing the BITS component again and see if that works for you.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Hi All

its been going hectic and it seems that it is going to be hectic weekend as well

we decided to rebuild the server - with the same name so we maded sure that machine was removed from all groups in ad - after the rebuild we added it to all the relevant groups and so forth

prep the server with IIS - make sure that web dav is configure correctly

Current situation

SERVER 2008 R2 64 Bit SP1

SQL 2008 R2 SP1 CU 4

the SCCM installation goes through and finishes without errors in the following log files

ConfigMGRSetup

ConfigMgrPrereq - only has the following warning - .NET update for Configuration Manager (Software Updates);    Warning;

and a warning about mixed mode - we use it for our own created dashboard

Component.Log - no issues

the server flatlines on CPU usage with "smsexec.exe *32 taking 98% CPU usage

if you try to open SQL - it comes up with the following error

"Timeot Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. (Microsfoft SQL Server)"

obviosly when you try to open the SCCM console it cannaot connect to the SQL database

what now - Murphy is really having a run around!!!

thx Mike

Friday, October 26, 2012 1:13 PM
  • What do you mean by trying to open SQL?  Are you trying to open SQL management studio?  Is SQL installed on your site server or is the db remote?
    Friday, October 26, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Hi Dan

yes right after the sccm install I want to upgrade to sp2 for SCCM

what I found is that after I click on upgrade the site the installation hangs

I opend SQL management studio and it gave me this error

"Timeot Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. (Microsfoft SQL Server)"

googling it did not yield a proper solution - I even tried to open in single user mode through command prompt - still no joy

I checked all the sql services are running - all starting with the system account

removing SCCM - uninstalling SQL does not make a difference

I dont really want to rebuild the server again but if that is the last option well I guess it will have to do

thx for the reply

• Edited by mikeg_gf Friday, October 26, 2012 7:28 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 7:26 PM
  • When you try to connect to SQL, are you doing it from your workstation or are you logged into the server and trying to open it from there?  If the services are started correctly and you are connecting from a workstation, you might need to create a firewall rule to allow yourself access.

If you are trying to open SQL while you are logged into the server and you're still timing out, try increasing the timeout threshhold.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Friday, December 26, 2014 10:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:15 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:17 PM