How can I remote each of the Virtual image in the virtualization ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Does anyone know how I can remote the Virtual image in the virtualization ?

I try the VMRC from a vista or w2k3 to the W2k8 hyper-v or using the old virtual server syntax (http://myserver:1024/VirtualServer/VSWebApp.exe?view=1) but if won't connect

Rgds

Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:29 AM

Answers

• Remotely managing Windows Server Virtualization from Operating Systems from Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2003 is not possible yet.

Please Note:

There's absolutely no problem remotely managing Windows server Virtualization from another (English) Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 RC0 (or later build) server with package Windows6.0-KB939854-x64.msu installed. (as long as the Windows firewall permits it) This package installs the Windows server Virtualization Management Console in the Administrative Tools folder.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 8:09 AM
  • Hyper-V does not use VMRC.  It uses RDP.  Also - remote managment is not supported in the current release.

Cheers,

Ben

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:58 AM
  • The VMRC Console (vmrc.exe) and the ActiveX Control in Internet Explorer's Web Interface for managing VM's in Virtual Server needed a Windows machine to use either of the methods you state above.

Ben & Mike's posts above state that they are still investigating/developing remote management for Hyper-V and what the end product for this could be is anyone's guess. With that said most likely a MMC console will be included as part of the 'Remote Systems Administrators Tools (RSAT)' that will let you use another PC (Server2008/Vista) to manage the VM's under Hyper-V in a MMC console without having to use an RDP session. And the other option is to use a RDP session (console or otherwise) and RDP into the VM.

Down the track once SCVMM vNext is released you should also be able to manage VM's also, you can read a bit about that here.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:28 AM
  • Microsoft placed an update for Microsoft Windows Vista with ServicePack 1 on its download servers that enables you to enable remote management of a Windows Server 2008 computer running the Hyper-V RC0 role. All users of the Hyper-V role are encouraged to apply this upgrade. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Download it here.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:58 PM

All replies

• Remotely managing Windows Server Virtualization from Operating Systems from Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2003 is not possible yet.

Please Note:

There's absolutely no problem remotely managing Windows server Virtualization from another (English) Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 RC0 (or later build) server with package Windows6.0-KB939854-x64.msu installed. (as long as the Windows firewall permits it) This package installs the Windows server Virtualization Management Console in the Administrative Tools folder.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 8:09 AM
  • Hyper-V does not use VMRC.  It uses RDP.  Also - remote managment is not supported in the current release.

Cheers,

Ben

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:58 AM
  • Hey you can rdp server 2008 from windows xp or proff desktop. I am not sure how to manage virtual managment alone form MMC .

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:43 AM
  • You can't do that today - we are investigating how to do this in the future.

Cheers,

Ben

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:41 PM
  •  

Oh that's the resaon i was not able to do a RDP to VM's installed on windows 2008 server for my desktop.

Hey then it is major draw back.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:11 AM
  • Once the VM is up and running, you can RDP into the VM's just as you would any other system, hardware or virtualized. The management of a virtualization host from another machine running Vista is still under development.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:41 PM
  • If I have a 2008 Server with Hyper-V can I RDP to the 2008 Server from Vista and THEN manage the VM's? WOuld just try this but am trying to assess whether it is worthwhile to start this project. Thanks, Dave

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:50 AM
  • Dave,

I have not installed the latest RC1 with Hyper-V just RC1 (Later Tonight I will have it running) though at the moment I RDP from Vista to RC1 and can then use the Server Manager to manage the VM's no problem.

Winodws Server Blog

Hyper-V MMC only installation. The Hyper-V MMC can be installed on Windows Server 2008 without installing the complete Hyper-V role enabling remote management of Hyper-V servers.

Virtually Vista

Q:  How do I manage Hyper-V remotely?
    A:  It's not terribly easy to do with the beta.  If you're running Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V Beta on another machine besides your Hyper-V server, you can use the MMC Management Console to connect to your Hyper-V server remotely (which, in fact, you *must* do if your server is running Server Core). 

If you've only got one server, you can use Terminal Services to connect to your Hyper-V server and run the MMC Management Console - though, you'll run into issues controlling the Virtual Machines with VMConnect if you don't have the Integration Components installed. 

You can also use WMI calls to manage a Hyper-V server remotely.  The documentation for that should be online shortly, if it isn't already.

With that all said I have not tried yet or seen the exact instructions to install only the Hyper-V MMC Console Install.

Cheers,

Stephen

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:25 AM
  • Thanks Stephen. I have to admit a bit of conceptual confusion here. What is there for you to manage with server manager as far as VM's under 2008 Server if you don't have Hyper-V already installed? And what could you NOT do as far as creating and managing VM's if you RDP'ed to 2008 Server from Vista as that would seem one of the natural way to do this I should think?

Are folks just talking about managing a particular VM remotely being hard or not supported right now because they do not have admin rights on the server and can't logon to it with RDP?

Or by installing Hyper-V does that mean that 2008 Server runs as one of the VM's and you RDP to Hyper-V as the managing OS and not 2008 Server?

Sorry have not used Hyper-V or "managed" any of the previous MSFT virtualization servers and am just now getting hardware to set one up.

Thanks, Dave

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:50 AM
  •  CodeSlinger wrote:

Thanks Stephen. I have to admit a bit of conceptual confusion here. What is there for you to manage with server manager as far as VM's under 2008 Server if you don't have Hyper-V already installed? And what could you NOT do as far as creating and managing VM's if you RDP'ed to 2008 Server from Vista as that would seem one of the natural way to do this I should think?

Technically I only have the previously named 'Windows Server Virtualization - WSV' installed on my machine with VM's running in that and am yet to install the new Hyper-V RC1 Edition that has many new features than the previous virtualization build. Anything that I could do from the servers physical console I was able to do everything required to manage VM's. The only issue I would have whilst being in RDP mode configuring the 'Virtual Networks' quite often my network would change from a 'Private Network' to a 'Public Network' and I would no longer have 'Network Discovery' enabled and thus W2K8 would not let me RDP back into the server so I would have to go to the server console and fix the network discovery and public/private issue and once that is done RDP'ing straight back in is fine. So essentially once you have Hyper-V installed and your 'Virtual Networking' all setup you should no longer have any RDP issues in managing a VM running on the Hyper-V platform.

CodeSlinger wrote:

Are folks just talking about managing a particular VM remotely being hard or not supported right now because they do not have admin rights on the server and can't logon to it with RDP?

Yep, if you enable 'Remote Desktop' in a VM and the VM has access to the network segment your Vista (or other management computer) you can RDP directly into that VM without any problems whatsoever, it is just as if it was a real physical server, you only need to enable 'Remote Desktop' and have a username and password and you are in.

CodeSlinger wrote:

Or by installing Hyper-V does that mean that 2008 Server runs as one of the VM's and you RDP to Hyper-V as the managing OS and not 2008 Server?

No Hyper-V is just a 'Role' like IIS, DHCP or DNS etc. You add the role and you can then start creating VM's. When you RDP to the system running Hyper-V you are RDP'ing into the W2K8 box directly and using 'Server Manager' just like 'Computer Management' in W2K3 to manage the role just like you did for IIS, DHCP or DNS and in this case you also have a Hyper-V role that can be managed in the same MMC console.

CodeSlinger wrote:

Sorry have not used Hyper-V or "managed" any of the previous MSFT virtualization servers and am just now getting hardware to set one up.

Thanks, Dave

It's fun Smile And yes conceptually a few things are tricky to grasp at the start and at least you are not walking the minefield of terminology and technology differences that we are adapting to from previously using 'Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1' to now 'Hyper-V' things are different and it is all good Smile

Cheers,

Stephen

Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:07 AM
  • Got it. Thanks! Dave

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:43 PM
  •  

Hi,

When the final version of Hyper-V comes out - or maybe in an updated beta before then - will it be possible to remotely manage a VM without having to RDP to a Windows 2008 / Vista box that has the management MMC installed? With Virtual Server and IIS, it's possible for a user to download the VRMC Active X control and basically get into the console of a VM without having to use up a Terminal Services session on the server. They still need a Windows account, but it doesn't have to be a local admin or anything, and can users can be restricted to particular VMs. Now that VRMC has been dropped in favour of RDP, could we have a feature like Remote Web Workplace in Windows SBS 2003 that allows RDP direct to the console of a VM without using up a session on a physical machine?

This will be useful when you want to install an OS in a VM remotely, or manage a VM that doesn't have RDP installed/enabled, and will be especially useful for non-Windows OSs. Ideally the client for this could be embedded in a web page, just like VRMC and regular RDP.

Thanks,

Aitor

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:41 PM
  • The VMRC Console (vmrc.exe) and the ActiveX Control in Internet Explorer's Web Interface for managing VM's in Virtual Server needed a Windows machine to use either of the methods you state above.

Ben & Mike's posts above state that they are still investigating/developing remote management for Hyper-V and what the end product for this could be is anyone's guess. With that said most likely a MMC console will be included as part of the 'Remote Systems Administrators Tools (RSAT)' that will let you use another PC (Server2008/Vista) to manage the VM's under Hyper-V in a MMC console without having to use an RDP session. And the other option is to use a RDP session (console or otherwise) and RDP into the VM.

Down the track once SCVMM vNext is released you should also be able to manage VM's also, you can read a bit about that here.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:28 AM
  •  

The VMRC Console (vmrc.exe) and the ActiveX Control in Internet Explorer's Web Interface for managing VM's in Virtual Server needed a Windows machine to use either of the methods you state above.

Well, there are RDP clients for other platforms including Linux, OSX and even Palm OS, and on Windows going back to Windows 98, and on Windows CE/Mobile - so RDP is even more widely available than VMRC. So the fact that VMRC is being replaced with RDP has a lot of potential for making remote access to VMs easier from a wide range of end user devices.

For the applications I have in mind, remote control over the internet of VMs is a requirement, without relying on RDP or any other remote access technology being installed in the target VM, and ideally by an easy to deploy & widely available client. (RDP and VMRC qualify!). The aim is effectively to provide end users with a virtual KVM. Users need to be able to watch their VMs boot, and be able to install an OS or run a text-only OS. My option of last resort will be to have users RDP to a Windows 2008 system and run the management tool from there. I think this is a bit wasteful in terms of resources, and may require extra licenses, but so long as it can be locked down so that users only have rights over specific VMs and not over the "management station" it will be workable.

SCVMM's web portal as it stands uses VMRC for Virtual Server, doesn't it?. It will be interesting to see what solution they come up with for Hyper-V.

cheers,

Aitor

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 11:51 AM
  • It's important to understand that if you RDP to a Windows 2008 Server with Hyper-V, you will have problems with, for example, a Windows 2003 Server virtual machine without integration components. Keep in mind that if you are installing Windows 2003 Server, you won't have integration components installed until after the OS is installed in the virtual machine. When using RDP, mouse control of the virtual machine doesn't work until integration components is installed (Windows 2008 Server doesn't need integration components). So, you'll have to install the OS using the keyboard only or do an unattended installation. After the OS is installed, then you install integration components and the mouse will work normally.

I use Vista to RDP to Windows Server 2008. My installations are all unattended. If you aren't experienced with unattended installation, nLite is a free tool that can modify your media to do an unattended installation and build a new iso for you.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 1:17 PM
  • Microsoft placed an update for Microsoft Windows Vista with ServicePack 1 on its download servers that enables you to enable remote management of a Windows Server 2008 computer running the Hyper-V RC0 role. All users of the Hyper-V role are encouraged to apply this upgrade. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Download it here.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:58 PM