Joining a WDS Image to a domain via an "image" based unattend.xml RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Does anyone have a good complete example of joining a WDS based image to a domain? 

I have successfully created a WDSunattend.xml and if I use the WDSunattend.xml (assigned at the server level) to automate the disk partitioning, image selection etc. and then don’t assign an unattend at the image level to automate the windows welcome then my machine joins the domain as per the settings on the WDS client. However the minute that an unattend is added to the image to do anything then the machine doesn’t join the domain.  There are so many posts out there on that same issue (need to create local account first etc etc) but no one seems to have a definitive answer. 

It would be great to see a full example of an attend.xml attached to an image that automates the complete installation via WDS and joins the computer to the domain. 

BTW I have read all the documents with regards to WDS and the step by step guide and everything in WAIK.

Cheers
    Friday, January 19, 2007 12:40 AM

Answers

• Got it to work!!! 
    Now I have the WDSclientunattend.xml repartitioning/formating the disk and my image unattend going through the other stages of the setup.  It is now successfully joining the domain.

Below is a total copy of my "image" unattend file;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <Identification>
                    <UnsecureJoin>True</UnsecureJoin>
                    <JoinDomain>wbuck</JoinDomain>
                </Identification>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <BluetoothTaskbarIconEnabled>false</BluetoothTaskbarIconEnabled>
                <DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>true</DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>
                <RegisteredOrganization>William Buck (NSW)</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>William Buck (NSW)</RegisteredOwner>
                <ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>
                <ComputerName>*</ComputerName>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="oobeSystem">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <UserAccounts>
                    <DomainAccounts>
                        <DomainAccountList wcm:action="add">
                            <DomainAccount wcm:action="add">
                                <Group>Administrators</Group>
                                <Name>Domain Admins</Name>
                            </DomainAccount>
                            <Domain>wbuck</Domain>
                        </DomainAccountList>
                    </DomainAccounts>
                    <AdministratorPassword>
                        <Value>RwBNADAAMgAwADUAMAA0AGkAdABBAGQAbQBpAG4AaQBzAHQAcgBhAHQAbwByAFAAYQBzAHMAdwBvAHIAZAA=</Value>
                        <PlainText>false</PlainText>
                    </AdministratorPassword>
                    <LocalAccounts>
                        <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
                            <Password>
                                <Value>RwBNADAAMgAwADUAMAA0AGkAdABQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA</Value>
                            </Password>
                            <DisplayName>HelpDesk</DisplayName>
                            <Name>HelpDesk</Name>
                            <Description />
                        </LocalAccount>
                    </LocalAccounts>
                </UserAccounts>
                <TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone>
                <OOBE>
                    <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
                    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
                    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
                    <SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
                </OOBE>
                <RegisteredOrganization></RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner></RegisteredOwner>
                <Themes>
                    <DefaultThemesOff>false</DefaultThemesOff>
                </Themes>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>
                <SystemLocale>en-AU</SystemLocale>
                <UILanguage>en-AU</UILanguage>
                <UserLocale>en-AU</UserLocale>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/vista_installation/install.wim#Windows Vista ENTERPRISE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Friday, January 19, 2007 3:53 AM
  • Hi Barry

I am able to accomplish what you have requested via WDS (Windows Deployment Services) which replaces RIS (Remote Installation Services).  There is no need to use Ghost to deploy your images and WDS is included as part of the Windows OS at not additional cost.

The below article will give you a heads up on setting up the initial WDS server.

http://apcmag.com/4845/upgrade_to_windows_deployment_services

As you can see from the screen captures, you don't need to pre-stage your computers in AD as it can create the computer accounts (generated in any logical/sequential format you tell it too, eg. COMP001, COMP002 etc etc).

You will need 2 XML files.  One labelled as WDSClientunattend.xml which is placed in the properties in the WDS server.  This xml file should be setup for you to partition and extend the hardrive.  The Second XML file is attached to the Vista Image itself (Imageunattend.xml), this will control more of the out of the box experience (see above example). 

You should then allow your "master" computer to connect to the WDS server via PXE boot (it should attach and give you the ability to boot in WinPE) and download the base Vista Image that your originaly uploaded from the Vista CD.   You should then install all your office and legacy apps etc.  Then run sysprep and choose the options to "generalise" and set it to shutdown.  Start the machine up again and boot back via PXE to WinPE, press shift F10 and type WDScapture.  This tool will allow you to capture the completed master machine that you just setup, upload it back to the WDS server which you can then use to deploy to as many machines as you see fit.

I hope this all makes sense
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:33 PM

All replies

• Got it to work!!! 
    Now I have the WDSclientunattend.xml repartitioning/formating the disk and my image unattend going through the other stages of the setup.  It is now successfully joining the domain.

Below is a total copy of my "image" unattend file;

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <Identification>
                    <UnsecureJoin>True</UnsecureJoin>
                    <JoinDomain>wbuck</JoinDomain>
                </Identification>
            </component>
                <DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>true</DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>
                <RegisteredOrganization>William Buck (NSW)</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>William Buck (NSW)</RegisteredOwner>
                <ComputerName>*</ComputerName>
            </component>
        </settings>
                <UserAccounts>
                    <DomainAccounts>
                                <Name>Domain Admins</Name>
                            </DomainAccount>
                            <Domain>wbuck</Domain>
                        </DomainAccountList>
                    </DomainAccounts>
                    <AdministratorPassword>
                        <Value>RwBNADAAMgAwADUAMAA0AGkAdABBAGQAbQBpAG4AaQBzAHQAcgBhAHQAbwByAFAAYQBzAHMAdwBvAHIAZAA=</Value>
                    </AdministratorPassword>
                    <LocalAccounts>
                            <Password>
                                <Value>RwBNADAAMgAwADUAMAA0AGkAdABQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA</Value>
                            </Password>
                            <DisplayName>HelpDesk</DisplayName>
                            <Name>HelpDesk</Name>
                            <Description />
                        </LocalAccount>
                    </LocalAccounts>
                </UserAccounts>
                <TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone>
                <OOBE>
                    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
                </OOBE>
                <RegisteredOrganization></RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner></RegisteredOwner>
                <Themes>
                    <DefaultThemesOff>false</DefaultThemesOff>
                </Themes>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SystemLocale>en-AU</SystemLocale>
                <UILanguage>en-AU</UILanguage>
                <UserLocale>en-AU</UserLocale>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/vista_installation/install.wim#Windows Vista ENTERPRISE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Friday, January 19, 2007 3:53 AM
  • I love to hear that someone has figured out how to do this. I am an experienced user with unattended installations of Windows XP, RIS and Ghost solutions. I have been studying the Windows Deployment Services Update Step-by-Step guide and several other documents, but I can't manage to put it all together.

Could someon please tell me the best method for editing/creating a WDSclientunattend.xml file like "Geokhal" has done? And also how to implement it in the job of reimaging a bare metal computer...

Thanks,
    Simon

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:07 PM
  • The best method in creating/editing xml unattend files is to use the Windows System Image Manager which comes with the WAIK.
    • Proposed as answer by NotReallyMe112 Friday, November 8, 2013 1:44 AM
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Where are you putting this unattend.xml file and calling it when imaging the PC?
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Hi Barry

I am using a WDS server.  So I have 2 xml files.  1st being the WDSclientunattend.xml which is does the partitioning, and then I have an image based xml that is applied directly to the image on the WDS server.

• Proposed as answer by dustinamb7690 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:41 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Geokhal

Thanks for getting back with me. I have managed to get the WAIK tools installed, and BBD2007 installed. I played around with it and managed to create an image file that i burnt to a CD and was able to use this to get an image up to the BBD distribution share. I then created another ios image that i burnt to another CD and was used to pull down an image with.  I found a place to edit an unattend.xml file in BBD but none of my changes took. Thats about the extent of my knowledge. I'm desperately trying to figure out how to setup a pc with vista and all the applications i need on it, sysprep it, and then image it. I then need to be able to use this image in large labs. I need it to join each pc to our domain and during the process ask me what name i want to give the PC.  With XP, we setup a base machine, run mini-setup mgr and sysprep the machine. Then with Ghost, put the image on the image server, then when we deploy it to our labs, (we pre-create the computer accounts in AD) as each PC starts up, they stop at the point asking for the name of the PC. We give it the name and then it finishes joining the domian, etc.   We want to be able to do the same with Vista, but using Microsoft's imaging tools is proving to be a challange. I've been reading several documents and howto's but still haven't figured out how to do all of this. Since it looks as if you have figured all this out, any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Hi Barry

I am able to accomplish what you have requested via WDS (Windows Deployment Services) which replaces RIS (Remote Installation Services).  There is no need to use Ghost to deploy your images and WDS is included as part of the Windows OS at not additional cost.

The below article will give you a heads up on setting up the initial WDS server.

http://apcmag.com/4845/upgrade_to_windows_deployment_services

As you can see from the screen captures, you don't need to pre-stage your computers in AD as it can create the computer accounts (generated in any logical/sequential format you tell it too, eg. COMP001, COMP002 etc etc).

You will need 2 XML files.  One labelled as WDSClientunattend.xml which is placed in the properties in the WDS server.  This xml file should be setup for you to partition and extend the hardrive.  The Second XML file is attached to the Vista Image itself (Imageunattend.xml), this will control more of the out of the box experience (see above example). 

You should then allow your "master" computer to connect to the WDS server via PXE boot (it should attach and give you the ability to boot in WinPE) and download the base Vista Image that your originaly uploaded from the Vista CD.   You should then install all your office and legacy apps etc.  Then run sysprep and choose the options to "generalise" and set it to shutdown.  Start the machine up again and boot back via PXE to WinPE, press shift F10 and type WDScapture.  This tool will allow you to capture the completed master machine that you just setup, upload it back to the WDS server which you can then use to deploy to as many machines as you see fit.

I hope this all makes sense
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Hi Geokhal,

Where do you put the 2 XML files? one on WDS server and other one with sysprep? I dont know about sysprep commands, can you please explain it to me, which one should i pick? sysprep /quiet /generalize /reboot?

I though the XML file attached to the image itself will do the parition, not the XML file on the WDS server.

Friday, February 9, 2007 2:02 AM
  • wdsclientunattend.xml is placed in the properties of the WDS server.  The second "image based" xml is against the actual image you deploy.

sysprep "generalise" will strip out machine specific information making it ready for deployment.  Therefore select generalise and setup for OOBE, with final option being shutdown.

Friday, February 9, 2007 3:28 AM
  • Sorry, Im new to Vista. What do you mean 'against the actual image you deploy'. What is the difference between WDSClientunattend.xml and the xml file for image based?

I got everything working except the screen resolution changed back to default and no user account were created after i deployed the image to client machines. Ive modified the XML file in wdsclient unattend but it doesnt work.

what's is the problem here you reckons?

Friday, February 9, 2007 3:48 AM
  • My post utilises WDS to deploy Vista Images, hence the requirement for 2 xml files.  You would only need one XML file if deploying via DVD etc.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post the first xml file is labelled as WDSClientunattend.xml which is placed in the properties in the WDS server.  This xml file should be setup for you to partition, format and extend the hardrive.  The Second XML file is attached to the Vista Image itself (Imageunattend.xml), this will control more of the out of the box experience, such as screen resolution, background, locales etc etc (see above xml file as example).  You may notice that I needed to create a Local account in order the machine to join the domain as by default the "administrator account" in Vista is disabled.

The Image Unattend XML should be placed under the properties of the image, you click on the checkbox that says "allow image to be installed in unattended mode"

Friday, February 9, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Thanks for the info Geokhal,

But how do you know which one go to which .xml file. Are there any documents on this?

Friday, February 9, 2007 5:42 AM
  • The windowsPE configuration pass is used to configure settings specific to Windows PE as well as settings that apply to installation.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/791eb40e-6624-4217-b913-82a02e07465d1033.mspx?mfr=true

This is set at the server level, the rest of the unattended settings are set at the image level.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

One question,

Did you also manage to get the computername automatically generated with a custom computer name ?

For example, I want to have the computernames generated like this : PC001, PC002, PC003, etc. does this work for you too ?

Monday, March 5, 2007 9:08 AM
  • Yes

I was able to get the computernames generated like PC001, PC002 etc.  This is done at the WDS properties with the following parameters; PC%03#

Monday, March 5, 2007 11:32 AM
  • ok

i have a wds server setup and running

I have wpe disks, etc..

can you be a little more specific Geokhal  about exactly where to put these 2 .xml files and the steps to do it in WDS and the Winimage utilities.

thanks

Friday, March 16, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Server:

wdsutil /set-server /wdsunattend /policy:enabled /file:"wds_unattend.xml" /architecture:x86 or x64

Image:

wdsutill /set-image /image:"Your Image Name" /unattendfile:"image_unattend.xml" /overwriteunattend:yes

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/9e197135-6711-4c20-bfad-fc80fc2151301033.mspx?mfr=true

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:24 PM
  • ok

i finally figured out the unattend files, and that the firewall was blocking my server. I created a discovery disk. I'm finding the server now and changes i'm making to the WDSUnattend.xml file are taking, but now the problem is i keep getting error messages that the diskchanges i'm trying to do won't work. says it can't activate the disk because it doesn't exsist. Then i change that and it says can't apply the unattned file with disk configurations.

I've tryed it on a virtural pc and a regualar pc.... any ideas?

<DiskConfiguration>
                    <Disk wcm:action="add">
                        <CreatePartitions>
                            <CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
                                <Order>1</Order>
                                <Type>Primary</Type>
                            </CreatePartition>
                        </CreatePartitions>
                        <ModifyPartitions>
                            <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
                                <Active>true</Active>
                                <Format>NTFS</Format>
                                <Label>OS_Install</Label>
                                <Letter>C</Letter>
                                <Order>1</Order>
                                <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
                            </ModifyPartition>
                        </ModifyPartitions>
                        <DiskID>0</DiskID>
                        <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
                    </Disk>
                    <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
                </DiskConfiguration>
                <ImageInstall>
                    <OSImage>
                        <InstallTo>
                            <DiskID>0</DiskID>
                        </InstallTo>
                    </OSImage>
                </ImageInstall>

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:18 PM
  • The exact message is:Windows could not set a partition active on disk 0. The specified partition does not exist on the target disk. The error occurred while applying the unattend answer file's <DiskConfiguration> setting. Error code: 0x80300002
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:45 PM
  • So far I've just been experimenting with WDS on the test network and virtual machines, and with Vista I've had no problems getting the machines to add to domain via the unattend.xml - some of the stuff in this post has been very useful so thankyou all. My problem however is not adding a machine to a domain, but aquiring a pre-staged name and then adding to the domain.

In our environment we have a fairly strict naming structure that helps determine support levels, location, staff or student ownership etc, and we have student+staff OU's etc, basically the staff doing the deployment will have no way to move machines in the ACtive directory - so machine names, dhcp reservations etc, are all created via a web front end by the staff rolling out the machines, and they simply need to add machines to the domain. The only benefit of using WDS for us would be almost a Zero touch installation, where they can put a machine in place, set it imaging and walk away, to come back to a machine already on the domain with the correct prestaged name, otherwise I'll just use the same old drive image solution as we have mostly standardised hardware.

If anyone could assist me in getting machines to obtain their pre-stage names on deployment, this would incredible - thanks in advance!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:39 AM
  • I've managed to get the images up and also back down to the machines and to add a local account. But for some reason, the pc does not join the Domain. Any ideas why?
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Hi all,

BarryDon,

How did you manage to resolve the problem of <DiskConfiguration> Error code: 0x80300002?

thank you,

DigitalNet

Sunday, April 22, 2007 11:28 AM
  • Yes..... I can get my image up, and pull it back down. The problem now is that it won't join the domain. I've tried different people's .xml files, etc... but still no luck.... i can add a local user to the PC, but so far can't add a management group to the Administrators group or join the PC to the domain..... any ideas?
    Monday, April 23, 2007 12:56 PM
  • Have you delegated rights to the user in your xml that joins the machine to the domain, by default a domain user can only add 10 machines..

I use something like this....

<Login>
                        <Credentials>
                            <Username>joindomainuser</Username>
                            <Domain>mydomain</Domain>
                            <Password>Mypa$$w0rd</Password>
                        </Credentials>
                    </Login>

with joindomainuser having rights to add computers to domain and modify rights to just the OU the machines are created in as I run a script to rename machine using MAC (will use UUID when I get chance to update script)

Monday, April 23, 2007 2:02 PM
  • Tony,

How can you check to see if the user is able to add more than 10 computers? I am in active directory users and computers and can't seem to find the setting...
    Monday, June 18, 2007 5:20 PM
  • You need to use adsiedit and change the ms-DS-MachineAccountQuota attribute which is set to 10, or you can go into active directory users and computers advanced settings and giving the user create\delete computer object.

A better way if it works for you would be to delegate access to the user in AD as this is more visable and I guess more secure..

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Great. Thank you very much!
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Geokhal,

This is a good post.  I would like to know the following:

1.  Prior to capturing your reference image with imagex, what are the sysprep options you are using?  For example:  sysprep.exe /generalize /quiet /shutdown /unattend:answerfile

Is the answerfile specified above for sysprep.exe the same answer file you specify the image to use?  I have two answer files as well - the WDSClientUnattend.xml and SysprepUnattend.xml.

WDSClientUnattend.xml:

<unattend xmlns="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="windowsPE">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DiskConfiguration>
                    <Disk wcm:action="add">
                        <CreatePartitions>
                            <CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
                                <Order>1</Order>
                                <Type>Primary</Type>
                                <Extend>true</Extend>
                            </CreatePartition>
                        </CreatePartitions>
                        <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
                        <ModifyPartitions>
                            <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
                                <Active>true</Active>
                                <Extend>false</Extend>
                                <Format>NTFS</Format>
                                <Letter>C</Letter>
                                <Order>1</Order>
                            </ModifyPartition>
                        </ModifyPartitions>
                        <DiskID>0</DiskID>
                    </Disk>
                </DiskConfiguration>
                <UserData>
                    <ProductKey>
                        <Key>Product Key</Key>
                    </ProductKey>
                    <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
                    <FullName>Spencer Stuart</FullName>
                    <Organization>Spencer Stuart</Organization>
                </UserData>
                <WindowsDeploymentServices>
                    <Login>
                        <Credentials>
                            <Domain>ssinftest</Domain>
                            <Password>******</Password>
                            <Username>Administrator</Username>
                        </Credentials>
                    </Login>
                    <ImageSelection>
                        <InstallImage>
                            <Filename>VistaBeta1.wim</Filename>
                            <ImageGroup>ImageGroup1</ImageGroup>
                            <ImageName>Windows Vista Enterprise Beta Image 1</ImageName>
                        </InstallImage>
                        <InstallTo>
                            <DiskID>0</DiskID>
                        </InstallTo>
                    </ImageSelection>
                </WindowsDeploymentServices>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SetupUILanguage>
                    <UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
                </SetupUILanguage>
                <SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
                <UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
                <UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="offlineServicing">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsNonWinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DriverPaths>
                    <PathAndCredentials wcm:action="add" wcm:keyValue="1">
                        <Credentials>
                            <Password></Password>
                            <Username></Username>
                        </Credentials>
                        <Path>C:\Drivers</Path>
                    </PathAndCredentials>
                </DriverPaths>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpiSurprisefflineImage cpiTongue Tiedource="wim://usiltldc51/vistabuild/vistabeta.wim#Vista Beta Image 1" xmlns:cpi="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

SysprepUnattend.xml

<OOBE>
                    <ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
                    <SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
                </OOBE>
                <RegisteredOrganization>Spencer Stuart</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>Spencer Stuart</RegisteredOwner>
                <TimeZone>Central Standard Time</TimeZone>
                <UserAccounts>
                    <AdministratorPassword>
                        <Value>UwBwADMAbgBjAGUAcgBTAHQAdQBhAHIAdABBAGQAbQBpAG4AaQBzAHQAcgBhAHQAbwByAFAAYQBzAHMAdwBvAHIAZAA=</Value>
                    </AdministratorPassword>
                    <LocalAccounts>
                            <Password>
                                <Value>UwBwADMAbgBjAGUAcgBTAHQAdQBhAHIAdABQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA</Value>
                            </Password>
                            <Name>Administrator</Name>
                        </LocalAccount>
                    </LocalAccounts>
                    <DomainAccounts>
                        </DomainAccountList>
                    </DomainAccounts>
                </UserAccounts>
                <Display>
                    <ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
                    <HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
                    <RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate>
                    <VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
                </Display>
                <WindowsFeatures>
                    <ShowInternetExplorer>true</ShowInternetExplorer>
                </WindowsFeatures>
            </component>
        </settings>
                <Identification>
                    <Credentials>
                        <Password>*****</Password>
                        <Username>Administrator</Username>
                    </Credentials>
                    <JoinDomain>ssinftest</JoinDomain>
                    <MachineObjectOU>OU=Vista,DC=ssinftest,DC=com</MachineObjectOU>
                    <DebugJoin>true</DebugJoin>
                </Identification>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="offlineServicing">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpCustomizationsNonWinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DriverPaths>
                    <PathAndCredentials wcm:action="add" wcm:keyValue="1">
                        <Credentials>
                            <Password></Password>
                            <Username></Username>
                        </Credentials>
                        <Path>C:\Drivers</Path>
                    </PathAndCredentials>
                </DriverPaths>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpiSurprisefflineImage cpiTongue Tiedource="wim://usiltldc51/vistabuild/vistabeta.wim#Vista Beta Image 1" xmlns:cpi="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

The image deploys without a problem - the disk partitioning/formatting works etc.  But after the first initial reboot, I'm still being prompted to go through the Windows Setup and the machine does non join the domain.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Rob
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:38 PM
  • It looks like you haven't specified to create a local account and that's why you are still being asked to do so after the initial re-boot.  Look at my initial XML file in my post, I created an account called HelpDesk, and this becomes my "Local Admin" account, as by default Local Administrator is disabled.

With regards to joining the domain, I had the WDS server properties setup for my machines to join a specific OU, and in my Imageunattend XML file all that needs to be done is specify "*" in <ComputerName>*</ComputerName>

as opposed to ;  <MachineObjectOU>OU=Vista,DC=ssinftest,DC=com</MachineObjectOU>.

Because I use WDS, I use the following parameters for syspreping; sysprep.exe /generalize /quiet /shutdown.  There is no need to specify the XML file.

Cheers

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:27 PM
  • I have figured how how to join a computer to the domain and rename it what ever you like in Active directory if anyone needs this
    Monday, July 23, 2007 5:08 PM
  • With the help of Microsoft's PSS, we were able to get the image to deploy without any issues or without going through the Mini-Setup.  The only difference was how we captured the Vista image from my reference PC.  Instead of using a WinPE 2.0 bootable CD-ROM and using imagex to capture the image at the command line after my reference PC was sysprep'd, PSS instructed me to create a capture boot image in WDS (basically using wdsutil). 

Now the issue I'm working with now is the ComputerName and the MachineObjectOU.  I have the client naming policy format set to TL%MAC and the client account location set to ssinftest.com/SS Computer in the Directory Services tab in WDS.  With my ImageUnattend.xml file, I've tried both leaving <ComputerName> blank and with an * and it still didn't work.  I have random computer names being generated.  I also left the  <MachineObjectOU> blank and specified
    OU=Vista,DC=ssinftest,DC=com
    as well in the xml file and the computer accounts are being place in the Computers container
     instead of thew SS Computers OU.

Also, nothing is prestaged in AD as well.  I'm still working on this and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Rob
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:17 PM
  • BarryDon,

The image is joining the domain with out a problem.  What did you do to have the computer accounts renamed and placed in the correct OU?

Thanks,

Rob
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:19 PM
  • Rob,

We image a little different here, but should work anywhere. I created a sysprep file, setup my PC the way i want it, then syspreped it using the /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattendTongue Tiedysprep.xml from the c:\windows\system32\sysprep in a command promt running as an administrator. I also have a vbs script that you place in the root of C. my sysprep file runs, puts the pc in the OU i told it to with a random name. Then at the end, the PC logs on once with a domain account that is also an administror of the local PC and opens the computer renaming vbs file automatically. You enter any name you want, it will tell you if it was sucessful, and to restart you pc. when it comes back up, it's done. I have 2 more things to do... but i can give you this much which is what you need. but i want to add to the change name script, once the pc is renamed sucessfully, to reboot it's self. and also do delete all the files, sysprep.xml and the change computer vbs file, so that my user names and passwords are destroyed. but that is elementary now.  I've just been busy and haven't had time to work on it.

here is a posting of my change computer script: and below that the sysprep file i'm using, and below that some helpful notes: good luck!

Copy of the script that changes the computer name for you. It should be named "Changename.vbs: to work in the example sysprep i'm posting here. You put this in the root of C:\ of the PC you plan to sysprep

Name = InputBox ("Computer Name")
    Password = "Your P@ssword Goes Here example: P@ssword!*S"
    Username = "Your domain user account goes here example: mjones0001"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("Winmgmts:root\cimv2")

' Call always gets only one Win32_ComputerSystem object.
    For Each objComputer in _
        objWMIService.InstancesOf("Win32_ComputerSystem")

Return = objComputer.rename(Name,Password,User)
            If Return <> 0 Then
               WScript.Echo "Rename failed. Error = " & Err.Number
            Else
               WScript.Echo "Rename succeeded." & _
                   " Reboot for new name to go into effect"
            End If

Next

This is a copy of the sysprep file i'm using. I've changed the user names and passwords, and the OU's, and made up domain name of Fabkom... but everything else is the same as the one i'm using. You can add your Vista product code inside if you want... if you don't know where. post me again and i can tell you where. This script will ask you for the product key and a computer name because i removed my key that gave the product key. other wise its fully automated. you drop this in the c:\windows\system32\sysprep folder and name the file sysprep.xml ... then from an administrators command prompt go to c:\windows\system32\sysprep and run sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattendTongue Tiedysprep.xml

<OOBE>
                    <ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
                    <SkipMachineOOBE>false</SkipMachineOOBE>
                </OOBE>
                <UserAccounts>
                    <AdministratorPassword>
                        <Value>SABjAGMAcABzACoAaABlAGwAbABBAGQA3838388384AaQBzAHQAcgBhAHQAbwByAFAAYQBzAHMAdwBvAHIAZAA=</Value>
                    </AdministratorPassword>
                    <LocalAccounts>
                            <Password>
                                <Value>SABjAGMAcABzACoAa38383883GEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA</Value>
                            </Password>
                            <DisplayName>admin</DisplayName>
                            <Group>administrators</Group>
                            <Name>admin</Name>
                        </LocalAccount>
                    </LocalAccounts>
                    <DomainAccounts>
                                <Group>administrators</Group>
                                <Name>fabkom-admins</Name>
                            </DomainAccount>
                            <Domain>fabkom</Domain>
                                <Name>mjones0001</Name>
                            </DomainAccount>
                        </DomainAccountList>
                    </DomainAccounts>
                </UserAccounts>
                <TimeZone>Central Standard Time</TimeZone>
                <FirstLogonCommands>
                    <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>1</Order>
                        <Description>Change the Name of the Computer</Description>
                        <CommandLine>c:\changeName.vbs</CommandLine>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                </FirstLogonCommands>
                <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar>
                <RegisteredOrganization>FABKOM</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>FABKOM</RegisteredOwner>
                <StartPanelOff>false</StartPanelOff>
            </component>
                <InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SidebarOnByDefault>false</SidebarOnByDefault>
                <SidebarVisible>false</SidebarVisible>
            </component>
        </settings>
                <Identification>
                    <Credentials>
                        <Domain>fabKom.system.com</Domain>
                        <Password>P@ssword!*</Password>
                        <Username>mjones0001@fabkom.system.com</Username>
                    </Credentials>
                    <JoinDomain>fabkom.system.com</JoinDomain>
                    <MachineObjectOU>ou=PCS,ou=Operations,dc=fabkom,dc=system,dc=com</MachineObjectOU>
                    <DebugJoin>true</DebugJoin>
                    <DebugJoinOnlyOnThisError>0</DebugJoinOnlyOnThisError>
                </Identification>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <RunSynchronous>
                    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Description>EnableAdmin</Description>
                        <Order>1</Order>
                        <Path>cmd /c net user Administrator /active:yes</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Description>UnfilterAdministratorToken</Description>
                        <Order>2</Order>
                        <Path>cmd /c reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v FilterAdministratorToken /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                </RunSynchronous>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <Home_Page>http://www.fabkom.com</Home_Page>
                <IEWelcomeMsg>false</IEWelcomeMsg>
                <CompanyName>FABKOM</CompanyName>
                <BlockPopups>no</BlockPopups>
            </component>
            </component>
                <ComputerName></ComputerName>
                <RegisteredOrganization>FABKOM</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>FABKOM</RegisteredOwner>
                <TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone>
                <AutoLogon>
                    <LogonCount>1</LogonCount>
                    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
                    <Username>mjones0001</Username>
                    <Password>
                        <Value>SAAwAG4AZABhAEMAaQB2AGkAA38383838GEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA</Value>
                    </Password>
                    <Domain>fabkom</Domain>
                </AutoLogon>
                <StartPanelOff>true</StartPanelOff>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="windowsPE">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SetupUILanguage>
                </SetupUILanguage>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <UpgradeData>
                    <Upgrade>false</Upgrade>
                </UpgradeData>
                <ComplianceCheck>
                    <DisplayReport>OnError</DisplayReport>
                </ComplianceCheck>
                <UserData>
                    <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
                    <FullName>FABKOM</FullName>
                    <Organization>FABKOM</Organization>
                </UserData>
                <EnableFirewall>false</EnableFirewall>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpiSurprisefflineImage cpiTongue Tiedource="wim://famcomserver1/reminst/images/myfirstimage.wim#my Vista Install" xmlns:cpi="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Sorry for the late reponse.  Thanks for the help everyone.  I've got the image deploying and the computer accounts are being named correctly and being put in the proper OU. 

The only issue I'm working on now are drivers that won't load automatically.  Go figure.

Friday, July 27, 2007 1:37 PM
  • I realize this is an old thread, but...

Once you have captured the image, you can use the following commands from the

Windows PE Tools Command Prompt (WAIK) to add drivers:

md mount

imagex /mountrw myimage.wim 1 mount

peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Bus\nvidia\smuc.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Bus\nvidia\nvsmbus.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\Marvell\yk60x86.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\nVidia\nvfd6032.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\pro100\e100a325.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\pro100\e100b325.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\pro100\e100ant5.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\pro1000\e1e6032.INF mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\pro1000\e1g6032.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\prowifi\NETw4v32.INF mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\prowifi\NETw2.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\prowifi\w70n501.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\proxgb\ixe5132.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\proxgb\ixe6032.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Nic\proxgb\ixgb325.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Sata\iastor\iaahci.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Sata\iastor\iastor.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Sata\nVidia\nvrd32.inf mount\Windows
    peimg /inf=E:\Vista\Drivers\Sata\nVidia\nvstor32.inf mount\Windows
    imagex /unmount /commit mount

I updated the vbs file mentioned ealier as follows:

dim iranok
    Name = InputBox ("Computer Name")
    Password = "your domain password goes here"
    Username = "your domain user name goes here"
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("Winmgmts:root\cimv2")

' Call always gets only one Win32_ComputerSystem object.
    For Each objComputer in _
        objWMIService.InstancesOf("Win32_ComputerSystem")

Return = objComputer.rename(Name,Password,User)
            If Return <> 0 Then
               WScript.Echo "Rename failed. Error = " & Err.Number
        iranok = false
            Else
               WScript.Echo "Rename succeeded." & _
                   " Reboot for new name to go into effect"
        iranok = true
            End If

Next
    dim filesys
    Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    If filesys.FolderExists("c:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther\") Then
       filesys.DeleteFile("c:\windows\system32\sysprep\*.xml")
    End If
    If filesys.FolderExists("c:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther\") Then
       filesys.DeleteFile("c:\windows\system32\sysprep\*.tag")
    End If
    If filesys.FolderExists("c:\windows\panther\") Then 
       filesys.DeleteFolder "c:\windows\panther"
    End If
    If filesys.FolderExists("C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\Panther\") Then 
       filesys.DeleteFolder "C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\Panther"
    End If
    If filesys.FileExists("c:\changename.vbs") and iranok = true Then
       filesys.DeleteFile "c:\changename.vbs"
    End If

Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Hi and thanks for useful information.

But I can't get my clienunnatend.xml to work properly.
    Do you have any example of how it shoud be written?
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:52 AM
  • Can you post here your XML file?
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:16 AM