Error building OLAP cubes RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a problem building cubes. We have installed a new project server 2007 and I get the following error.

Failed to build the OLAP cubes. Error: Analysis Services session failed with the following error: Failed to process the Analysis Services database DVA_productie_cube on the projectsrv01 server. Error: Errors in the OLAP storage engine: The linked measure group with the ID of 'EPM Timesheet', Name of 'EPM Timesheet' cannot be processed because it contains MG dimension with the ID of 'Task Is Overallocated', Name of 'Task Is Overallocated' with different granularity attribute than its source object. 

i am new to these forums so if anyone can help me, i need to post anywhere else or i need to give more information please let me know!

Kind regards,

Bert

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Bert,

Did you happen to add addition MDX or use multi-select custom fields in your cube? Did you create a custom field called "Task is Overallocated" that has multi values.   OLAP doesn't like multi-select fields.  Remove and then try rebuilding.

Cheers

MIchael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Hi Bert,

since it is a new installation, I don't expect too many views based on your cube?

First, you could try to remove all your fields as Michael suggested (for all entities) and rebuild your cube. I am not sure if that will help, since "Task is Overallocated" is a system field. But give it a try. You can also try to create a new cube without any modification and see if that one is built.

On which version of Project Server 2007 are you working? I can remember that I read some similar issues after applying SP1 (within this timeframe, there was a change regarding task fields in timesheet cubes ...), I am not aware of any in the last months.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Dear Michael,

thanks for your reply. I first took our old databases and made a new pwa. this gave me the above error. i found some users still referring back to the old server and changed their properties. This didn't help. Your and barbara gave me the idea to make a new empty pwa and then tried to build a cube. still same error.

Any suggestions?

kind regards,

Bert

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:18 PM
  • Dear Barbara,

See also my reply to Micheal. thanks for your reply. I first took our old databases and made a new pwa. this gave me the above error. i found some users still referring back to the old server and changed their properties. This didn't help. Your and barbara gave me the idea to make a new empty pwa and then tried to build a cube. So there are no views relying on this cube.... still same error. 

Any suggestions?

kind regards,

Bert

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Hi,

searching Brian's blog about common errors on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2007/02/14/common-error-messages-when-building-cubes.aspx?PageIndex=4#comments gave me the idea to point you on the version of your feature pack: "This error appears to relate to mis-matched components - so make sure that all of the servers and components and parts of the feature pack (DSO, backwards compatibility etc.) are at the same release level.  This applies to the components on your application server as well as your Analysis Services and Database Engine server."

Could that be the issue?
    Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Bert Wolff Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:23 PM
  • An addition: on 29 Jul 2008 12:20 PM (also on page 4) Brian described how to resolve. Of course you need to make sure that you will use the most current applicable version - since it was written more than 2 years ago ;-)

Good luck!
    Barbara

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

I'm trying to find out some stuff. Thanks for the help! Maybe i come back later!

Thanks again.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:40 PM