Broadcom NICs Code 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Inspirion 1520 with a broadcom nic and wirless nic. Both are giving me code 10. I know the nics are in working condition as I have tested them using Ubuntu and they work fine. Can some one please help me resolve the issue? I cant begin to list the fixes I have tried, because frankly the list goes on and on and on. 
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:50 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

The code 30 means that an IRQ cannot be shared. This may occur when a PCI/EISA SCSI controller is sharing an IRQ that is also in use by a real-mode device driver that Windows cannot change.

Based on my research, please try the following:

1.    Temporarily unplug the unnecessary devices (such as second hard drive, Optical Disk Drive or some particular
    specifications
    ) to test the issue.

Completely remove the device driver and install the one which is up-to-date. (To check the new released driver, please go to Dell’s site.)

Note: Please install the driver with administrator permissions.

3.   We have a tool (Process Monitor) to monitor Registry access activities. We can use it to monitor the registry when installing the drivers, to find what the related registry key is.

1)     Download the tool from the following site:

http://technet.microsoft.co.m/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2)     Please run this tool and start the registry monitoring before you install the driver.

3)     Install the driver.

4)     After installing , stop the monitor and review the log to see which keys the installation operated.

Since the issue is related to the hardware, it is recommend that you involve Dell technical support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:24 AM

All replies

• Apologies for the bump so soon but I really need help urgently with this. I have tried removing registry subkeys for {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318} and still nothing. Please Help!
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:49 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

As we Know, there are many differences between Windows Vista and Ubuntu, such as on the system architecture, the way they work, etc. Even though the hardware is the same; the drivers, features or mechanisms for the NICs and the ways to connect to the network are different. We can see the error is related to a device or a driver error. (For more information related to the error codes, please refer to this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125174).

Regarding this issue, we may check the following:

1.    Please make sure that both the Broadcom Nic and Wireless Nic are compatible with Windows Vista.

2.    Reinstall the device drivers for the NICs.

Note: Please also ensure that the drivers are for Windows Vista.

3.    Upgrade the device drivers.

Note: It is recommended that totally remove the previous drivers before this.

We can upgrade the drivers with the following methods:

1)    Update the driver in Device Manger

========================

a)     Click Start, right click Computer and choose Properties.

b)     Click Device Manager.

c)     Navigate to your NIC.

d)     Right click on it and choose “Update Driver Software”.

e)     If the issue persists, please try to uninstall this device and restart the computer. Vista will detect this device automatically.

2)    Please check if there are any updated versions released on Broadcom’s website.

Meanwhile, if everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore.

(Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

After checking, if the issue persists, please help collect more information:

1.    Please run “CMD” and then “ipconfig /all” to export all the network settings and post the information to this thread.

2.    Please check the event log. Is there any related error message?

For more information, please also refer to the following:

Get help with Device Manager errors

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/8bf5c94f-82e3-4d4e-b176-2aba6b0b0edf1033.mspx

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:49 AM

• As we Know, there are many differences between Windows Vista and Ubuntu, such as on the system architecture, the way they work, etc. Even though the hardware is the same; the drivers, features or mechanisms for the NICs and the ways to connect to the network are different.

Obviously but since the nics function fine under ubuntu, this is obviously a driver issue.

The nics were the standard factory installed nics straight from Dell so they are vista compatible.

I have tried all the above options and nothing works. When I boot into vista it tries to install drivers for the nics but fails. I tried using the drivers disc supplied by dell as well as driver downloads from dell's site related to my service tag, and drivers from the broadcom site.

Both NICs are broadcom, both the ther net nic and the wirless nic.

The issue arised from deleting the drivers from hardware manager and now vista fails to.

Obviously ipconfig comands are useless as I cant even get the drivers working.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update. Yes, I agree that if the NIC works under Ubuntu, the hardware device itself should be OK. However, the Windows version of device driver is not correctly installed.

May I know the what is the current error message for the driver or device failure? At this time, please boot the system to “Safe Mode with Networking” and then remove and reinstall the driver again to see if it helps.

Also, please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the NIC driver installation log files and then share the URL with me.

Considering that the issue should be related to the hardware, I would like to recommend that you also contact Dell or Broadcom. As the hardware manufacturers, they developed the device drivers and should have more information for further troubleshooting. Hope the issue can be resolved soon.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Ok I stumbled on something new, while also trying to install in safe mode.

Its actually a cheap Broadcom NIC rebadged as a Dell 1390 wireless card.

Instead of a code 10 I know have a code 30.

I stumbled upon a post here days ago explaining how to remove the registry keys for the devices.  Do you know what keys these are? My wireless NIC says Dell 1390 Wireless Card #4(but its the only wirless nic).
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:02 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

The code 30 means that an IRQ cannot be shared. This may occur when a PCI/EISA SCSI controller is sharing an IRQ that is also in use by a real-mode device driver that Windows cannot change.

Based on my research, please try the following:

1.    Temporarily unplug the unnecessary devices (such as second hard drive, Optical Disk Drive or some particular
    specifications
    ) to test the issue.

Completely remove the device driver and install the one which is up-to-date. (To check the new released driver, please go to Dell’s site.)

Note: Please install the driver with administrator permissions.

3.   We have a tool (Process Monitor) to monitor Registry access activities. We can use it to monitor the registry when installing the drivers, to find what the related registry key is.

1)     Download the tool from the following site:

http://technet.microsoft.co.m/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2)     Please run this tool and start the registry monitoring before you install the driver.

3)     Install the driver.

4)     After installing , stop the monitor and review the log to see which keys the installation operated.

Since the issue is related to the hardware, it is recommend that you involve Dell technical support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:24 AM
  • Well I never tried your method. Instead I tried Windows 7 and it supported it right out of the box. It did not however, reinstall when i removed it in device manager. But this time the xp/vista drivers on broadcoms site worked. :)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:47 AM