none
One or more prereq. for protecting ... missing - Win 2008 R2 KB975354 RRS feed

• Question

• When adding a HyperV member in a protection group on a secondary DPM2010 server -> Prereq missing - kb975354

The host server is a
    Windows 2008 R2 server with
    Hotfix Kb975921, kb975354 and Kb975354-v2 !
    Intergration service upgraded ...
    DPM agent from the primary Dpm server

Primary dpm server:
    Win 2008
    DPM 2010
    DPM agent from the secondary DPM server

Secondary DPM server
    Win 2008 R2
    DPM 2010

Do anyone have a tip about the problem?
    Thanks

Stefan H

Monday, November 8, 2010 7:13 PM

Answers

• Stefan if you're still having this issue I would suggest opening a support case with Microsoft so that our System Center DPM support team can assist you.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

For some reason, the agent information on the secondary DPM server is not getting updated to reflect current QFE information for the Hyper-V PS.

The workaround is to fudge the DPM DB so Secondary DPM server believes the Windows 2008 R2 hotfix has been applied.

On the Secondary DPM Server, Run the below SQL proc by opening SQL Enterprise Manager 2008 and create a new query for the msdpm DB.

Replace 'RELACE_PS_FQDN_HERE' with the FQDN of the Hyper-V protected server in question.

NOTE: If the primary protected data source is Hyper-V guest protection, change the ServerAttributes = 31 in the script.

Update tbl_am_installedagent
       Set ServerAttributes = 7
       Where deleted = 0 and serverid in (select Serverid from tbl_am_server where serverName = ‘RELACE_PS_FQDN_HERE’)

After running this proc try creating the PG. Note that this field will be reverted back again by the 30 min refresh job, but should not affect protection for data sources already being protected.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 10:37 PM

All replies

• Were the prerequisites installed before or after the Hyper-V role was installed? If before I've seen a few cases where it's played out exactly like this and you have to remove the role then uninstall the hotfix(es) then re-install the role and then the hotfix(es).
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:55 PM
  • The Hotfix(es) were installed after the Hyper-V role.

The DPM agent were installer before the hotfix(es).

On a new server
    1. Hyper-V role
    2. Hotfix(es)
    3. DPM agent
    -> No problem with Hyper-V backup on the server!

Best regards from a snowy Sweden
    Stefan

Stefan H
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi (Hej) Stefan!

Since you have installed all the requierd hotfixes on the Hyper-V hosts try just to do a refresh on the primary DPM servers agent on the secondary DPM servers agent tabs. Try to add the Hyper-V guest, does it work?

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:20 AM
  • You can also try to reinstall the agents in the Hyper-V hosts if it doesn't work

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Hej Robert

Yes, I have refreshed the agent on the secondary dpm servern and all agents on the primary dpm server

The Hyper-V guest is updated on the Hyper-V server

/Stefan

Stefan H
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:30 PM
  • I have deleted and added the dpm agent at Host server from the primary DPM server

/Stefan

Stefan H
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Are you able to protect the Hyper-V host directly from the secondary DPM server? This would be good to test so that we can narrow your issue down further.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:44 PM
  • On the primary DPM server uninstall the DPM agent for the Host

On the Host server validate that the dpm agent is gone, ok

On the secondary DPM server
    - Refresh of the agent installed on the primary dpm server
    - Install of DPM Agentn for the host server -> A protection agent is already installed on the host server, id 333
    - When creating a new protection group on the secondary dpm server, opening the primary dpm server
    the host server is in the list of protected server. Opening the host server -> DPM was unable to get the list of data sources on the host server that are protected by the primary DPM server. Restart the DPMWriter service (tried that).

Tried to install the agent Today -> same result ???
    The Host server is not on the primary DPM server and the dpm agent is not in the add/remove program list at the host server.

Stefan H
    Monday, November 22, 2010 3:43 PM
  • A second test
    1. uninstall the dpm agent on the host server

2. uninstall of hotfix KB975921, kb975354-v2 and kb975354 (host)

3. uninstall of role hyper-v (host)

4. uninstall of feature backup (host)

5. install of role hyper-v (host

6. install of feature backup (host)

7. install of  hotfix KB975921, kb975354 and kb975354-v2 (host)

8. install of dpm agent from primary dpm server on the host server

9. Refresh dpm agents on primary and secondary dpm server

10. On primary dpm server protect the HyperV Inital store (Have no virtual server on the host)

11. on the sec. dpm server protect the HyperV Initial store -> prereq. missing ... kb975354

...???

When adding a new host server - no problem on the secondary DPM server!

Stefan H
    Monday, November 22, 2010 3:55 PM
  • I have added the hotfix kb2250444 on primary DPM, agents and secondary DPM
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2250444

No luck, still the same problem!

Stefan H
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Next test

If I remove a protected server on the primary DPM server and uninstall the agent for the protected server

Secondary dpm server
    Creating a protection group, opens the protected servers, the removed server is in the list of proteced servers?

It looks like
    - The secondary dpm server can add a new server
    - The secondary dpm server do not get updates about a server from the primary dpm server!

Stefan H
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Stefan if you're still having this issue I would suggest opening a support case with Microsoft so that our System Center DPM support team can assist you.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

For some reason, the agent information on the secondary DPM server is not getting updated to reflect current QFE information for the Hyper-V PS.

The workaround is to fudge the DPM DB so Secondary DPM server believes the Windows 2008 R2 hotfix has been applied.

On the Secondary DPM Server, Run the below SQL proc by opening SQL Enterprise Manager 2008 and create a new query for the msdpm DB.

Replace 'RELACE_PS_FQDN_HERE' with the FQDN of the Hyper-V protected server in question.

NOTE: If the primary protected data source is Hyper-V guest protection, change the ServerAttributes = 31 in the script.

Update tbl_am_installedagent
       Set ServerAttributes = 7
       Where deleted = 0 and serverid in (select Serverid from tbl_am_server where serverName = ‘RELACE_PS_FQDN_HERE’)

After running this proc try creating the PG. Note that this field will be reverted back again by the 30 min refresh job, but should not affect protection for data sources already being protected.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for your answer

We decided to rebuild our DPM servers from the ground
    Reinstall the DPM 2010 in a fresh WIN R2 env and in the process add more Disk space
    Our current conf. is upgraded …

Our Secondary DPM – New Primary DPM

Old DPM Primary – New Secondary DPM

Best regards from a snowy Sweden

Stefan H
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Mike:

Is this approach still the recommend approach to solving this (making the SQL changes)?  I'm trying to backup Hyper-V systems running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.  The hotfix obviously doesn't apply.  I've also installed the integration services in all systems.  I still get this error on my secondary DPM box when trying to protect a Hyper-V server.  Primary server has no problems.

• Edited by simdoc Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Hi Simdoc,

Yes, the SQL script should resolve your issue. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:40 PM