none
Problem with VPN client installation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VPN client that gets installed to laptops during MDT task sequence. Randomly, but not always VPN client nstallation causes the network connections to lost for a few seconds and connection to the deployment share cannot be re-established anymore after this. Task sequence fails immediately with an error:  "The specified network name is no longer available". So it fails to reconnect to the deployment share. 

How could I bypass this problem?

• Edited by jqx12 Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:59 AM
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:57 AM

Answers

• The sarcastic answer would be to find a VPN client that doesn't suck. :^)

Otherwise, I would investigate writing a script to test for network connectivity after installing the VPN client.

While (not Network_Is_Working)

disable/reenable network

ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew

wait 30 seconds

repeat until working

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, October 6, 2014 12:11 AM

All replies

• The sarcastic answer would be to find a VPN client that doesn't suck. :^)

Otherwise, I would investigate writing a script to test for network connectivity after installing the VPN client.

While (not Network_Is_Working)

disable/reenable network

ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew

wait 30 seconds

repeat until working

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, October 6, 2014 12:11 AM
  • I think I need to implement something like this. Thanks. I would also want to get rid of that VPN client, but it's not possible at the moment.

Monday, October 6, 2014 5:33 PM
  • My solution to that problem is to mark the app in MDT with "reboot after installing this application". That way you get a clean reboot and everything should reconnect.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, October 6, 2014 9:50 PM
  • My solution to that problem is to mark the app in MDT with "reboot after installing this application". That way you get a clean reboot and everything should reconnect.

It's already marked with reboot. It's not a solution. When the error happens Task sequence fails and stops execution instantly when it's installing this VPN client. It cannot connect back to deployment share anymore (receiving error: the specified network name is no longer available).

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:01 AM
  • Well it's not the solution for your VPN then. If you install the VPN client manually, does it also cause the network to stop working? Keith's suggestion is probably going to be your best bet with what you're using.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:39 PM