none
Does DPM take backup from Storage pool to TAPE? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using DPM 2010 with TAPE library TL2000 ( 23 TAPE Slot) with Disk storage pool.

If i want to do backup DISK-DISK-TAPE. Does DPM take backup in TAPE from Storage pool DISK or from Protected server DISK.

• Changed type MarcReynolds Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:18 PM
    • Changed type MarcReynolds Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:18 PM
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:19 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

long term tape backups are performed by mounting the latest recovery point for the data source in the DPM storage pool and copying it to tape.  This takes the burden off the protected server and network.  

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Hi, Mike

Thank you. That means Long term backup always perform form DPM storage pool to TAPE.

Is there any way to create a protection group to perform backup only from DPM storage pool to TAPE.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:26 AM
  • HI,

Are you really asking if DPM can do long term backups directly from the protected servers INSTEAD of from the DPM Storage pool ?   The answer is no, as long as you have short term going to disk, all long term tape backups will be from the DPM Storage pool.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

Thank u very much for reply. I am really grateful to you.

I understand. Now i am facing another problem regarding tape backup.

In my TAPE library I insert 6 TAPE ( 800GB/1600GB). I create a protection group around 500GB from different protected server. I configured short term and longterm backup in Tape( Not in DISK for short term) My backup time is Daily 11:00PM at night.

But DPM take 200 GB at night and remainning 300GB ( DPM server D: Drive) at morning in separate TAPE. Though all are in same protection group why backupup happened in different time and taking two tape ( Single tape is  800GB/1600GB).

Can I use a single tape for a prothection group everyday ?

Actually my Plan is that Single tape for each day(SUN, MON, TUE, WED) and when the days are repeat in next week same tape should be used.

One tape used for weekly backup( Thusday) Every Thusday it willoverwrite.

One tape for monthly backup and take it offsite.

How do i do that.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sharif

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

Even though you only have a single PG, you need to enable co-location feature so you have more control on how long a tape gets used.

Please run this DPM power shell command:

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DpmServer <DPM Server Name> -OptimizeTapeUsage $true

Please check the following post to help you configure DPM to use the tape longer: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/9b565812-1220-43df-8c2f-77f2756039b5

Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:35 PM