none
Does MDT 8450 with ADK 1709 support capturing Gen 2 Hyper-V guests? RRS feed

• Question

• I found some older blog posts that says you must use Gen 1 Hyper-V guests to capture a master image.

Is that still true with the latest MDT and ADK 1709 or 1803?

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 2:27 AM

All replies

• Yes, the same principle still applies. The general recommendation is to use Gen 1 VMs for creation of your reference images.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 11:45 AM
  • I had done a gen 2 image and it didn't work for capture, but I later found out that it had nothing to do with that.  It was because incompatible apps silently downloaded in the background before sysprep.

After removing the apps, the gen 2 image worked fine.

So far, the only reason I can find to not use Gen 2 images is if you need to deploy the image to systems that don't support UEFI.

We don't have any non-UEFI systems in our environment.  In fact, we have a line in our customsettings.ini to force non UEFI systems to fail deployment so that people don't forget to turn off legacy boot options before imaging a system.

This caused the Gen 1 capture to fail and I had to remove the comment from customsetting.ini which removes our fail safe.

Is there any reason why Gen 2 captures from Hyper-V would not be supported?

• Edited by Kalimanne Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:48 PM