Administrator account has permissions problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

New server installation, 2019 Essentials.  I didn't really do anything after installation except add and configure AD, DNS, DHCP.  When I started trying to use the administrative tools, they either threw an error regarding path not found or no permission the ..\windows\system32\rundll... etc. I created another user, added them to the administrators & domain admins groups, and that user has no problems.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim in Dublin

Friday, April 3, 2020 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

have you checked the permissions on the file referenced in the error message?

Have you tried disabling UAC?

hth
    Marcin

Friday, April 3, 2020 1:32 PM
  • Hi Marcin,

It's not a file or folder permissions problem, as the alternate administrator account that has the same group memberships works without problems.  Something seems to be wrong with the administrator account in general.  I can work around the issue, but I would like to figure it out as I don't like to leave issues unresolved.

Regards,

Tim

Tim in Dublin

Saturday, April 4, 2020 8:53 AM
  • If so, then you might want to start by running 

whoami /groups

whoami /priv

for both accounts and compare the two outputs

hth
    Marcin

Saturday, April 4, 2020 10:21 AM
  • Hello Tim,

Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

If this question has any update or is this issue solved? If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

For any question, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 7:03 AM
  • Hello,

The issue is not resolved, but I have had to step away from it for now as there are other pressing issues is getting this server fully commissioned.  I will revisit the issue in the next few days.

Regards,

Tim

Tim in Dublin

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 11:51 AM
  • Hello Tim,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

We understand your situation and we could revisit the issue later in the next few days. 

Besides, I found a similar case where the issue was talked about and the solution was provided. Provided here for your reference. Hope it will be helpful.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3e4d3515-8e27-40a3-a37a-d571a3554f2b/network-change-adapter-options-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file?forum=winserverManagement

For any question, please feel free to contact us. Thanks for your time and support.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 3:06 AM