Creating new folders using Windows Explorer in Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have just tried to create a new folder in Explorer, using the context menu key on my keyboard, and by right-clicking on the folder in the tree view of Explorer, with no success.  I can't even create a new folder from the File menu.  I could before, but not now.  Is there something i can do to change this?  I don't fully understand the registry editor, so i haven't messed with it.  Thank you in advance.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 5:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When did this issue begin to occur? Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

If it occurs recently, system restore can be under consideration.

In case this issue is caused by conflict with ceratin software running background, I would suggest prepare clean boot to test:

To place the computer in a clean boot state, follow the steps below:

1.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2.     On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.     Click OK.

6.     When you are prompted, click Restart.

7.     After the computer starts, start the installation and check whether the problem is resolved.

Please check if you are able to install the system update readiness tool, also let us know as to what error message or error code you get during windows updates. Please disable the antivirus software as well.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:37 AM

All replies

• I would system restore best way around it.
    Hi Everyone
    Monday, September 20, 2010 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

When did this issue begin to occur? Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

If it occurs recently, system restore can be under consideration.

In case this issue is caused by conflict with ceratin software running background, I would suggest prepare clean boot to test:

To place the computer in a clean boot state, follow the steps below:

1.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2.     On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.     Click OK.

6.     When you are prompted, click Restart.

7.     After the computer starts, start the installation and check whether the problem is resolved.

Please check if you are able to install the system update readiness tool, also let us know as to what error message or error code you get during windows updates. Please disable the antivirus software as well.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:37 AM