Windows 7 64 bit won't resume after being locked RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My Windows 7 Pro computer will not resume after being locked.

I use a Domain controller based on Windows server 2008 R2, and if I login with my username on any other PC, I do not have this Problem.

When I lock it to go out for some reason, it won't resume at all. I left it on the welcome screen for an hour or so, and it didn't start.

Do you guys have any idea what might be causing this ?

Thank you very much for your help

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Let's narrow down this issue:

1. Unplug any external device from computer

2. Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open Task Manager.

3. Check if any programs that have stopped responding from the Applications tab of Task Manager.

4. Select the program that is not responding, and click End Task.

5. If Windows becomes active again, the problem is related to software. Save your work and restart the computer. Remember the name of the programs that stopped responding. Update or remove programs to check the result.

6. If it still freeze, in Task Manager, click the Processes tab, and click Show processes from all users.

7. Look in the CPU column to see if any image increase more and end it to check the result.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, March 16, 2015 9:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Friday, March 20, 2015 1:15 AM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you question is a bit unclear. Do you mean it does not resume from standby/hibernation or are you not able to login after locking your session?

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Edited by SenneVL Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:53 PM
  • If this behavior is not exhibited on any other systems in your environment, I believe it's safe to assume the issue is with the local client.

First things first: check that you have the latest drivers for your system. I know this seems like a canned answer, but I've seen hundreds of cases where a missing or legacy disk controller driver causes all manner of strange behavior on an otherwise healthy system.

Years ago, when SSDs first starting becoming popular, I purchased a handful of them from a specific vendor. We started seeing issues with resuming from S3 sleep that confounded us for months. We found out that the vendor used a specific brand and chipset on their SSD controllers that wound up causing firmware faults when Windows was resumed; even to the point that we had to shut down the PC, unplug it, and let the caps drain before we could boot it again!

We wound up replacing the drives with a more mainstream/popular brand and the issues never happened again, but the problem was hardware related. Your post reminded me of those few months of confusion.

Check that all of your drivers are up to date, esp. disk and video, and don't rely on the Microsoft generic drivers. If you can find the drivers for your mobo/gfx cards, prefer that route.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

The computer doesn't resume from lock state. Whenever I leave my desk I have to lock my desktop (windows key + L) for security reasons. When I return, i enter my password and it won't resume to my desktop, it remains on the welcome screen for as long as I leave it there.

I do not put my computer to sleep/hibernate, I just lock it.

Thank you very much.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Let's narrow down this issue:

1. Unplug any external device from computer

2. Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open Task Manager.

3. Check if any programs that have stopped responding from the Applications tab of Task Manager.

4. Select the program that is not responding, and click End Task.

5. If Windows becomes active again, the problem is related to software. Save your work and restart the computer. Remember the name of the programs that stopped responding. Update or remove programs to check the result.

6. If it still freeze, in Task Manager, click the Processes tab, and click Show processes from all users.

7. Look in the CPU column to see if any image increase more and end it to check the result.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, March 16, 2015 9:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Friday, March 20, 2015 1:15 AM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:33 AM