none
Move protected server out of a protection group and into a new protection group? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best way "split up" a protection group?

I want to move a protected resource (file server) which is presently in protection group A into a new protection group B.

How do I do that while not loosing any of the existing recovery points for the server in protection group A, and while not wasting space in the storage pool.

The purpose of the operation is to implement online protection goals (Azure) for the server in question, which is different from the other protected ressources in protection group A. And as far as I can see, that cannot be done in one protecton group.

I am running DPM 2012 R2.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For data sources that are not co-located - you can simply stop protection and retain the replica.  It will be moved to an inactive protection group.  when you make a new protection group and  re-protect the same data source, DPM will move it out of inactive protection and add it to the new protection group and automatically run a consistency check.  Normal protection will resume based on new protection group settings.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 11:46 PM

All replies

• What is the best way "split up" a protection group?

I want to move a protected resource (file server) which is presently in protection group A into a new protection group B.

How do I do that while not loosing any of the existing recovery points for the server in protection group A, and while not wasting space in the storage pool.

The purpose of the operation is to implement online protection goals (Azure) for the server in question, which is different from the other protected ressources in protection group A. And as far as I can see, that cannot be done in one protecton group.

I am running DPM 2012 R2.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:25 PM
  • Hi,

For data sources that are not co-located - you can simply stop protection and retain the replica.  It will be moved to an inactive protection group.  when you make a new protection group and  re-protect the same data source, DPM will move it out of inactive protection and add it to the new protection group and automatically run a consistency check.  Normal protection will resume based on new protection group settings.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 11:46 PM
  • Thanks, Mike. I will give that a try.

I think we use co-location on tape for some protection groups. Is that the kind of co-location you are referring to?

Thomas

Thursday, January 8, 2015 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

No - I was referring to data sources like SQL Databases, Client protection, and Hyper-V VM protection that allow multiple data sources to be co-located on the same replica volume.    For those data sources, unprotecting and re-protecting in a new protection group will make new replica and recovery point volumes which you wanted to avoid.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:56 PM
  • OK. The protection group in question does also include som SQL databases and a Hyper-V vm. Are they then col-located? We have not taken active steps to do that.
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

You can simply highlight a data source in the protection group and look at the disk allocation - it will say co-located if it is.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:54 PM