none
Windows Powershell missing from Group Policy Editor after installing Powershell V5

Question

• I am trying to configure "Turn on PowerShell Script Block Logging" and "Turn on PowerShell Transcription" in the Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 7 Professional, however those options are not present in "Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows PowerShell". I installed latest version of .NET framework (4.6.1), updated to PowerShell version 4 by installing the official WMF 4.0, then proceeded to install WMF 5.0, as instructed by Microsoft Guide (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/5.0/requirements).

After installing WMF 4.0 "Windows PowerShell" became visible in Local Group Policy Editor with 3 options

1. Turn on Module Logging
    2. Turn on Script Execution
    3. Set the default source path for Update-Help

This was the expected result, so I moved onto installing WMF 5.0 and after doing so "Windows PowerShell" was removed from "Administrative Templates -> Windows Components" altogether.

I also tried getting these settings configured on a domain controller running Windows Server 2012 R2. I followed the instructions for installation on that server type and ended up with slightly different Results. After installing WMF 5.0 I still had "Windows PowerShell" in "Administrative Templates -> Windows Components" but I only had three options available "Turn on Module Logging", "Turn on Script Execution", and "Set the default source path for Update-Help". I am needing the following two available for both the Windows 7 machine and the Windows Server 2012R2 machine: "Turn on PowerShell Script Block Logging" and "Turn on PowerShell Transcription".

I will note that "PowerShellExecutionPolicy.admx" is located in "C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions" of the the Windows Server 2012 R2 machine but not present anywhere on the Windows 7 machine.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

These two options remains in server2016, PS version:5.1,see figure below:

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:26 AM
  • Thanks Andy_Pan for the reply. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears you are informing me that those other powershell logging options are not supported or available in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2012r2. Is this correct? I will reference a blog post from FireEye where they have the options for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012r2 (https://www.fireeye.com/blog/threat-research/2016/02/greater_visibilityt.html). You will notice they have screenshots of those options available in Windows 7. Please let me know if I am missing something.

I noticed you are running PowerShell version 5.1 preview as I am running PowerShell 5.0. I just installed 5.1 on both machines following the guide here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/5.1/install-configure?ppud=4 with the same results as before.

Windows 7 $PSVersionTable Output:

Name                           Value
    ----                           -----
    PSVersion                      5.1.14394.1000
    PSEdition                      Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion                   10.0.14394.1000
    CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion              3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3
    SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1

Windows Server 2012r2 $PSVersionTable Output:

Name                           Value
    ----                           -----
    PSVersion                      5.1.14394.1000
    PSEdition                      Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion                   10.0.14394.1000
    CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion              3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3
    SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1

ALSO, here is a link that showing those features should be available in PowerShell version 5.0: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/whats-new/what-s-new-in-windows-powershell-50
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Hi BeetleChunk,

Have you found a solution for it?  I have the same issue....

Thanks.

Friday, May 12, 2017 6:39 PM